Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Tough crowd, I cant seem to overcome the major time savings of this short cut.
Oh well, movin' on.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Motor flush

To flush or not to flush, that is the question.
Motor flush is lookin' for a magic genie in a bottle. And it doesn't even address the carbon build up in the combustion chamber. I mean I may has well just put gas in my oil.
Could you elaborate on the negative side, danger(s) of engine flush procedure?
Alright haybaler
Yoouuurrr up

·
Registered
371 Posts
I usually recommend against motor flush in almost all circumstances. If there's so much crap in the
oil that you're concerned, teardown the engine and clean it out, replace worn parts, reassemble.

But occasionally, I wonder if the motor flush procedure positives would outweigh the dangers.
The major danger, as I see it, is that lots of stuff may be quite happy stuck to the inside of the motor until you
disturb it with motor flush, then a bunch of it clogs some small oil passage or the filter screen on the oil pump.

But Afro Nation has a motor that just ingested a bunch of black gooey cork material that was stripped from the clutch plates.
That stuff might already be blocking some of the oil pump screen, or threatening to clog a small oil passage.
It may be worth the risk to run the motor flush in that situation to see what comes out in the flush.
He already changed out the oil and filter, and the bike runs quite good, shifts, clutches, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Motor flush

To flush or not to flush, that is the question.
Motor flush is lookin' for a magic genie in a bottle. And it doesn't even address the carbon build up in the combustion chamber. I mean I may has well just put gas in my oil.

Alright haybaler
Yoouuurrr up
IMO, flushing the engine is:
1 Drain the used oil
2 Change the filter for a cheap one.
3 Fill with the cheapest oil (that complies with JASO MA2)
4 Ride the motorcycle for about 100km making sure it reaches operating temperature, around 6000 rpm, and the oil has circulated throughout the machine.
5 Repeat the oil and filter change, this time putting the best quality that my pocket can buy.
6 Done.

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
864 Posts

But Afro Nation has a motor that just ingested a bunch of black gooey cork material that was stripped from the clutch plates.
That stuff might already be blocking some of the oil pump screen, or threatening to clog a small oil passage.
It may be worth the risk to run the motor flush in that situation to see what comes out in the flush.
He already changed out the oil and filter, and the bike runs quite good, shifts, clutches, etc.

Thoughts?
If oil light doesn't turn on, no problem. Most of grinded cork should have got trapped in oil filter. It´s there for a reason (I think).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just a reminder of what the clutch looked like, especially the middle plates, one lost all of its surface:

·
Registered
371 Posts
If oil light doesn't turn on, no problem. Most of grinded cork should have got trapped in oil filter. It´s there for a reason (I think).
That's a good "Point" but here's the "Counterpoint":
When you hear the sound of one of the rods knocking, you'll immediately know why it happened.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I may be missing something here. I don't recall reading about anything "black and gooey". I may need to reread the thread to refresh my memory.
I kind of meant this as a general debate. You're taking it to a specific case that you're familiar with and I'm not. Because you took it off forum and to PM. I don't see how I can make a fair call when you have all the info, and I don't. Please rephrase, what is good about flushing?

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
When you hear the sound of one of the rods knocking, you'll immediately know why it happened.
Actually I don't know why that rods-a-knockin' if you wanted to elaborate on that.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
Flushing, bad idea. you won't get it all and stirring it up puts it in harms way.
The only way to clear suspected solid matter from your engine is to remove the pan to clean it..

FOG

141 - 150 of 150 Posts