Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Have you completed a Motorcycle Safety Class?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
yes. Hadn't touched a motorized bike before, so I took one and got my papers squared away before looking to buy one.

A

·
0 Posts
Yes almost 20 years after I started riding :p and actually learned I was doing many a things incorrectly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought a bike without ever having used a clutch in my life. Got it home and figured out shifting without too much ado, but figured I needed to take a class. The MSF beginner class was very good and I've recommended it to many new riders over the years.

I want to take the Experienced Rider MSF course but I'm still breaking in my engine. Once I get it broken in, I plan to sign up. There's a place in Houston that does it every weekend.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
We have different laws over here, you HAVE to take the compulsory basic training course before you are allowed to ride,up to 125cc, and must take a test within 2yrs or the CBT runs out, there are also separate tests for larger/more powerfull bikes.
Voluntarily, after you have passed the A test you can take the Institute of Advanced Motorcycle and the Police Federation advanced motorcycle tests, for any rider (over here) these two courses/tests I would highly recommend (yes I have done both, I have also qualified as a CBT instructor, but I only do it part time,as and when needed).

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would take the MSF but here in VT they want an arm and leg to take it. Last time I looked into it it was like 230 bucks and you were expected to supply your own bike.

Progressive has told me they will give me a $25 dicount on my ins for it but that doesnt cover the cost.

A

·
0 Posts
Here in Denver it is like 200.00 for the beginner class and three days, and like 79.00 for the experience rider class and a half day, but on top of the insurance discount you get a discounts and stores with the "MOST" card that you receive upon completion.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wish here the greedy people doing the course wouldnt charge 75 one year then the next they want 250+ dollars, i dont see how them telling me what to do, or just watching a video and practicing myself would make a difference.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I took two courses. Not sure if I got anything out of the 1st of not (back in 1988) the second course (advanced riders course ) two years ago, I didn't learn anything that I already didn't know.

P

·
0 Posts
J10 said:
I would take the MSF but here in VT they want an arm and leg to take it. Last time I looked into it it was like 230 bucks and you were expected to supply your own bike.
Hurt Report said:
The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.
Say, how much is your health insurance deductible? You think maybe $230 is peanuts compared to what you're going to pay in the hospital for a minor accident that you could have avoided?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
if the MSF is $230, do a trackday instead.

with gear rental, it will cost about the same, and you'll learn a TON more about riding. I will concede that it's a different kind of riding. The MSF teaches you street-oriented, lower speed techniques. A trackday teaches you higher speed stuff, but I think it's pretty applicable at lower speeds as well.

when you've gone around a turn on a track at 85 with a knee down, entrance and exit ramps at 55 seem downright boring, even in the rain...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've completed the basic, advanced, and sportbike class. The sportbike class was by far the best one I've done (military requirement) They taught us how to take a turn at well above the speed limit. It was a blast. I think I've got 1 more year before I got to take the advanced and sportbike again. I think its only good for 3 years.

______

Which leads me to a question. How many people have taken the class more then once? If so, how far between?

P

·
0 Posts
redkow97 said:

with gear rental, it will cost about the same, and you'll learn a TON more about riding. I will concede that it's a different kind of riding. The MSF teaches you street-oriented, lower speed techniques. A trackday teaches you higher speed stuff, but I think it's pretty applicable at lower speeds as well.

when you've gone around a turn on a track at 85 with a knee down, entrance and exit ramps at 55 seem downright boring, even in the rain...
This is awful advice for a beginner that doesn't have any miles under their belt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looking to do the course in the spring, hopefully. Here in Toronto they want close to $450.

S

·
0 Posts
MalhamCove said:
Looking to do the course in the spring, hopefully. Here in Toronto they want close to $450.
Look around at private companies that offer it as well. Make sure they're government certified, of course. In NL there were a few of them, and they offered the course a bit cheaper. I did a refresher class with one of them in my second summer and they did a better job than the MSF, IMO. More instructors to students and one-to-one attention.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My course was an evening in the classroom and 2 full days of riding (weekend) for $450. It was a lot to fork out at the time, but I'm glad I did it. And not only because my insurance company wouldn't cover me unless I took it ;)

Learned a lot. Witnessed 2 accidents (1 left in an ambulance). Learned from their mistakes. I am a better riding for the experience.[/color]

·
Registered
119 Posts
redkow97 said:

Talk about baptism under fire. A complete nugget probably would not yet have the fundamental skills and confidence to get TO the track, never mind actually racing in one.

·
Registered
894 Posts
complete riding newb reporting :) yah having no experience riding what so ever... i wouldn't feel comfortable going to a track day. i'm not sure they'd let me either. here in texas the dmv tells me they require a msf or similar course to get your endorsement. the dmv themselves dont do permits and dont have a testing course for you there. im signing up for a course in a few weeks... and i can't wait :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took the MSF. I thought it was great. Here in Florida the course is required for endorsement. The class ranged anywhere from $170-260 to take.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I took the Ohio MSF last year to see if I wanted to pursue street riding. Great class with good teachers. I took the 2nd day in pooring rain, including the skill test. Passed and got my endorsement and some good confidence handling slippery conditions. I look forward to some of the advanced classes to polish up in the future.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts