Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Have you completed a Motorcycle Safety Class?

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
In Oregon by 2015 all endorsements will have to have a rider safety course attached to them. Currently riding with out an endorsement in Oregon , if you get caught will land you up to a $1500.00 fine. So , in the safety course will be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I plan on taking the Basic, Experienced, and Sportbike courses. Since I am in the Army, I am required to have the first two before 1) I can get it registered on post and 2) legally drive it on post. Eventhough I can get an m endorsement on my own, I am still required to go through them. If something were to happen and the military found out I didn't take the safety course, I am screwed on any type of medical expenses.

W

·
0 Posts
MSF at moraine park tech. Even if youve been riding your whole life theres always something to learn. 5-20% discount on insurance is also another plus

L

·
0 Posts
I cannot say enough about this course. I have family and friends who ride but never really rode myself aside from a little offroading here and there. I decided to get my mid-life crisis over early and get a bike. ;D Glad I did it. The basic course is great for those that have never rode or are very green. I recommend it to anyone who has never rode before.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Going to rock the permit for a little while...would prefer to get some basic skills down before taking the course. I got a few traffic cones in the basement... gonna set them up in my high school parking lot and practice for a bit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Re: POLL: Motorcycle Safety Class

I took the msf class in Brooklyn and boy was it a mistake! It wasn't my fault though. I cruised past the first 6 exercises and then it hit me. My **** foot could not fit between the peg and shifter thus causing me to get nervous and frustrated. I brought it to the instructors attention and I was told "I need to invest in slimmer boots". This was all before I bought my ninja 500 a week later and learned that I can adjust it! Long story short... I contacted ridemss.com and explained to them and even sent them a video of me the next day riding and shifting no problem and I finally got my full refund! But I would definitely recommend do some riding before the course because it is very fast paced.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
298 Posts
I took the MSF class from Total Rider in Austin.

The first day of riding at that class was the first time I had ever let the clutch out on a running motorcycle.
Highly recommend, and will be taking the advanced rider course this summer to further improve my low speed handling skills.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gotta agree that its a worthwhile thing to do. Learned how many bad habits I had developed over time. The MSF instructors in Richland, WA were both very experienced and pretty dedicated dudes. The thing that impressed me was that they never went into the "Im the best instructor and here is my war story that tops the other guy" mode. Very cool.

In WA if you pass the MSF course you just head on down and pay your licensing fee and get your endorsement, also the insurance break is nice. In WA its not required (I don't know why) for you to insure your ride. Seems a bit odd to me and my knowledge on this may be dated.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm Mexican and I live in Matamoros, just across the border with Texas. Here the laws regulating the use of motorcycles are the same that apply to cars. So if you have a driving license for cars, almost do not need anything more. The only thing that ask the authorities to be able to ride a motorcycle is your driver license and wear a helmet.

I was taught to drive by a friend who has 5 years experience in motorcycles. And to be honest, here in Mexico there is little respect for the rider, :mad: so basically, it's you vs the world. To avoid accidents, you have to imagine that will make all other drivers and instantly have at least two ways to escape from every dangerous situation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes. I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course in Ohio. Now a BRC instructor.

Years and miles of experience before the course, Nova Scotia, Key West, Rockies, etc. Then in an accident with my wife on the back that was entirely my fault. I knew that accident should have never happened and decided I could benefit from some training. Took the BRC and was AMAZED at how much I didn't know. It made me a much better rider.

Being a BRC instructor is the best job I've ever had.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in Eau Claire Wisconsin they want $270 for the MSF course at the community college. I'll probably take it in the spring when they have the first class of the year.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Every two year while in the Navy, that equates to 10 classes there, then four years after getting out I took another one just after buying my New at the time VMAX. There are many levels of classes to partake in, I recommend a progressively advanced class every year or so if you can.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Took the course to get my endorsement and now take advantage of their "student for life" policy to go play on their course for an hour or so every weekend.

Already paid and registered for the Advanced course in the spring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here in New Brunswick, Canada, getting your motorcycle license now requires the rider take a certified course. I think the cheapest course is the official government one which is $515 total. It's 20 hours total, with 3 hours in class and 17 hours on a bike that they provide. I'm doing the course next weekend in order to get my license. For the first year you have a "beginner's" license, which means 0 BAC, can't ride after dark, no trailers, and no passengers.

http://www.safetyservicesnb.ca/mtp.php

·
Registered
19,160 Posts
In 1955 there was no such classes. I got my training free at the curbing front of the MC dealer. He pointed out the throttle and the shifter and the brake and said be careful as I drove away.

FOG

·
Registered
65 Posts
In 1955 there was no such classes. I got my training free at the curbing front of the MC dealer. He pointed out the throttle and the shifter and the brake and said be careful as I drove away.

FOG
The part of me that wants to go riding tonight wishes it was 1955. The part of me that wants to still be riding when I'm old and grey is glad there's a safety course.

·
Registered
124 Posts

FOG
Have you taken any of the classes since? I bet if you went, they'd ask you if you were interested in teaching. Just throwing it out there, you'll learn something, too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took whatever the basic MSF course is to get my license circa 1996, again after a lull when getting a new bike in 2001, and then the ERC at some point 10-15 years ago. Some other local group has a trail braking course that I should take soon.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts