Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to the motorcycle world, I just purchased a 90 ex500. It was sitting in the previous owner's shed for a couple years.

I changed the spark plugs because they were fouled, and I have a new air filter on order. I have cleaned the carb(s) out, and found some gum ups in a jet. But I still have a problem with the engine running above 6K. between 6-9.5 ish is sluggish, and sputters like it does not want to be there. And of course the pipes start to glow. So this means to me that the carb is running too rich or lean, But I cant find any plugs or such in the carb. If you give it full throttle, It jump over the sputter and run like its suppose to from 10-11.5.

Like I said, I'm brand new to motorcycles, it hasn't left the garage yet because I want the bike to run correctly.

Also, should I be using a premium gas vs regular unleaded?

Thank you guys so much!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
87 octane is what this engine was designed for ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
What I have learned is there is not much adjustment on these carbs. Float, air mixture thats about it. Make sure the pilot jets are clean. Take a garbage bag twist tie ( wire ) and poke through the small hole at the end of the jet. I found one of mine was very plugged and took me 1 hour to get it freed up.The jet is on the lower right of this pic.
Make sure all the passages are clean and spray carb cleaner in all the passages.
Also make sure yout gas tank does not have any rust in it. If it does you'll have to start cleaning that out as mine did. Also make sure your petcock is functioning and is clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My jets were so dirty that even pushing the wire through them and spraying carb cleaner through didn't get them clean enough. On the 3rd carb tear down, I bought a can of compressed air (from the office supply store - the kind for cleaning keyboards) and managed to blow out the rest of the crap. Good luck! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts