Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike idles at ~ 2750 rpm when warmed up. The idle adjustment knob is turned so that it isn't even making contact with the contact point (yes I'm sure its the knob and not the screw that I'm playing with) I have adjusted the throttle cables several times now. I have yet to change/clean the airfilter or spark plugs (can't find a sprk plug wrench that fits). What do you think the cause could be? It doesn't appear that the choke is sticking, as the movement is fluid and full with use of the choke lever. Is there a choke cable adjuster?

My expertise is autobody/paint, mechanical knowledge is somewhat lacking, but ability to learn is there. Please help.

·
Registered
496 Posts
1.) For the Plugs you can use an 18 MM deepwell socket.

Im not too good with the carbs..ok, wait, i Suck. i could only guess its either getting more air (caused by more throttle for some reason), or more vacuum, causing it to dump in more fuel. fixes? sorry man, no clue. only thing i could suggest is maybe removing the tank, and making sure all lines are intact (vac lines too). as well as cleaning the living hell out of everything you can.

sorry i cant be of more help, if anything else, a free bump to the top.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is squeaky clean other then maybe the air filter and plugs. there is almost no slack or free play in the throttle cables, I may loosen them off and see if that is better, I would rather it idle properly then have too much free play at the throttle.

I talked to my cousin today that is more mechanically inclined and also happens to have more tools then I, he said he was pretty sure he had an 18mm spark plug wrench that he had used on his Gen1 500 last year.

Keep the suggestions coming

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Your carb sync is way off. one carb is open keeping the revs up. or your cables are binding preventing the carbs closing. The carbs when shut will stop the engine.

FOG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fog, I'm pretty sure the carbs are synched correctly as they were professionally cleaned and synched at a trusted shop. The cables seem like the likely culprit as I have been mucking around with them and while everything seems to be good, the idle is high. I will start again with the cables as per the clymer manual's instructions. Do you have any helpful tips?

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Just that the throttle should snap shut when released. at full lock left and right.

FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts