Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've posted elsewhere here that 1/2 of all riders who buy the farm on a bike do so in their 1st year of riding...got me to thinking about wrecks I've had, and what could be learned, and race track get-offs not incld (3 in 6 years of racing, one on way old tires, one where i wore thru my own oil line by dragging it in a turn and one in someone else's oil) all 4 times I went down on the street were in my 1st 2 years of 8 years/50,000miles of street riding which seems to be inline with the stat.

Wreck 1:
day 2 of ownership, 52 miles on odo,(my total bike riding exp at the time) 6 lane road with turn lanes in middle, old lady pulls out 6 lanes to my left, pulls all the way across the 6 lanes and stops in mine because there was a steep incline in the strip mall entrance, i was at about 40 in a 45 with a van to my left. I wasn't out of lane position because i had to go right into my work in 1 block. Riding next to the van was a bad idea as i couldn't change lanes in time, so i laid it down (with the rear brake i would guess) and the bike slide into the rear of the car (totaled) and i slid past, minor to med road rash. Wouldn't happen today as my brake control has gone way up since racing, and can stop on a dime, plus i look at side roads/driveways all the time now and don't ride next to vans/truck or cars if possible.
Lesson: learn to love the front brake and master it-check side roads/driveways and slow/change lanes as needed-keep space around you-wear all the gear all the time (ATGATT)

wreck 2:
hauling butt with 3 other bikes to some bar, dark, took fast turn down side road in lead, hit sand and lowsided.
minor road rash, mirror, turn signal, scraped muffler
lesson: easy on turns at night, don't drive past your vision, ATGATT
wouldn't happen today, i look for sand/oil/bumps in turns then come back and run them a little faster (daylight only) if i want to, trafffic permiting.

wreck 3: 6 lane road coming up to a light, turn lane in middle. Traffic was stopped in my left lane from the now green light, i was in middle lane 40mph, left tire track passing the stopped cars on my left while in my empty lane. Somebody let through a car going the other way that was turning left, pulled between 2 cars and into my lane at a angle, i bounced off their front bumper w/ zero braking (my footpeg punched a neat hole in the bumper) and me and the bike slid about 60 feet, med to hvy road rash, broken handelbar, mirror, turn, fairings etc...lucky my foot wasn't crushed
lessons: play the lane and tire tracks allot more and never pass stopped cars at speed. ATGATT
wouldn't happen today as i would have been in the far right tire track of the far right lane going slower and would have nailed the brakes with allot more room to avoid then the 2 feet i had.

wreck 4: most painful and no cars to blame
1st year of racing, was breaking in new tires in a windy road office park before a race weekend. My brother got ahead of me a bit when he turned around on his FZR400, i laid on the gas to catch up, didn't know the layout as well as a i thought i did, went into a decreasing radius left way to hot, about 70mph, got it all the way laid over and committed to that line when i saw the manhole cover (I wasn't gonna make it anyway)....bike lowsided on it and i ended up under the bike for a 70ft slide into the curb with the bike on top of me, hit the curb at 25-30mph and we both flew up about 15ft and landed about 20 feet away in a nice parbolic orbit, meaning we slammed straight down, i hit 1st, grass thank god, landed on my back and waited for the bike to land on me but it landed about 3 feet away. We landed with a 1ft tall utility box in between us. I hit the curb with my lower back and broke my tail bone (couldn't sit in a movie theater for years) which hurt so much i got that blinding white light for abit, also got the wind severly knocked out of me, one shoe missing, 1 glove missing, jacket not zipped, slid up my arms and back, had nice pants on since we were going to surprise my GF and stop by her work..road rash everywhere, mostly deep, so anyway i can't move anything but one arm from the elbow out. i laid there awhile and heard my bros Yoshi pipe come back by, the road was divided there and he didn't see me. By now i am wondering if i am paralized since i still can't move....heard my bro come back, he see's my hi-top in the road, then the 70 skid mark and parts trail, i was in a depression out of sight waving my one hand in the air from just the elbow up, he finds me, someone calls 911, EMT straps me to the board so i was resting on the broken tail bone, that hurt...bad road rash, (you could see bone in 3 different spots) broken cocix bone, trashed bike. Cop didn't give me a ticket when he saw me getting my road rash scrubbed at the EMERG room where he came to find me.

Lessons: never go over 80% on street, never let your ego make you go too fast to catch someone, never haul through turns you don't know very well, always sweep thru the turn 1st on a recon then come back to it, ATGATT and take it to the track where there ain't no freaking manhole covers...by my Expert years i had no problem scrubbing in a new set of tires on the warmup lap. ::)

·
Registered
234 Posts
You've cheated death many times, my friend. Keep it real next time!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah good luck is a valuable trait to have on a scoot....up there with skill and equipment..... ;D

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It's better to lucky than good. Of course you can "make" your own luck.... A friend of mine once said " ya know the more I practice, the luckier I get...".

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Ah yes... manhole & other steel covers! Especially when wet/icy.

Same with painted stripes & letters on the road.

Thanks for the stories... I have to force myself to do constant reality checks on the bike.
Kinda ruins much of the experience... but allows me a better chance to have more future experiences.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME

1 - 8 of 8 Posts