Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post interesting ideas & websites for ideas on lighting.
Also list sites that have better prices (incl S&H?) & are reliable, if known.


Here's a site that sells LED conversion lights that fit stock sockets. $15-$25
Also head & brake light modulators, license frame lights, etc.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=LEDBULBS
http://www.newenoughhp.com/product_group_electrical_lighting_shock_racing_products.htm


Replacement (brighter) LEDs for some bikes' brake lights.
http://store.58cycle.com/category_s/1794.htm
http://store.58cycle.com/category_s/3334.htm
http://www.1tail.com/sa/c/Turn_Signal_Integrators.htm

Clear lenses:
http://www.customdynamics.com/Kawasaki_motorcycle_clear_tail_light_lens.htm

All-in-one brake light & turn signals
http://www.bikebits.us/productlist.php?CategoryID=2&SubCategoryID=6&SubSubCategoryID=45
http://www.amazon.com/CLEAR-TAILLIGHT-LENS-INTEGRATED-TURNSIGNALS/dp/B000J1LIAG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
I did the taillight/turn signal integration using a universal trailer wiring harness (~$13 at any auto parts store) and swapped out the standard 1157 taillight bulbs for LED replacement lights.

A quick video how-to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAItaiKhcHo

Pretty easy all said and done. I did it and chopped my fender in a couple of hours just messing around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I put on a ClearAlternatives integrated LED tail on, took off the fender completely, and DIY's a license plate bracket (Home Depot FTW). Took a few hours, but thats due to the fact that i took longer than needed at the hardware store and i also pulled off all the fairings for sh!ts and giggles. If you do something similar, GET LOCKING NUTS!!! I almost lost my license plate on the highway cause the vibrations shook the bolts i bought loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
CerialPhreak said:
I put on a ClearAlternatives integrated LED tail on, took off the fender completely, and DIY's a license plate bracket (Home Depot FTW). Took a few hours, but thats due to the fact that i took longer than needed at the hardware store and i also pulled off all the fairings for sh!ts and giggles. If you do something similar, GET LOCKING NUTS!!! I almost lost my license plate on the highway cause the vibrations shook the bolts i bought loose.
Loctite is your friend on just about anything on these bikes. If nothing else, I'm sure you can buy it at your local Harley dealer, but it may only come in cases ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Here's a site that sells LED conversion lights that fit stock sockets. $15-$25
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=LEDBULBS
The EX turn signals lights are clear/white 1157's correct? and what is the solution to an increased blink rate without increasing the draw on the electrical system? I'd like to start saving some juice so I can add other options later on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
I use Amber Mini 1157 bulbs in mine. They are same as stock bulbs but due to the smaller fillament i belive the use less energy. Also eventhough I'm not sure what increase blink rate you speak of , your signals dont stay on for long so it shouldt effect your pull on you electrical system.
Normally, due to the reduced draw of LED's they blink faster as it acts as if the bulb is burnt out... perhaps this isn't an issue... and while the signal probably won't draw hardly anything, I'd thinkg the running lights would.. although their draw is probably minimal too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,165 Posts
Alternatively (and my prefered method) is to replace the stock relay with a universal flash relay. These are time based relays that do not set flash rates by amperage draw. you can use any setup of lights you want with one installed (only need one for all four corners) and only cost roughly $24.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Alternatively (and my prefered method) is to replace the stock relay with a universal flash relay. These are time based relays that do not set flash rates by amperage draw. you can use any setup of lights you want with one installed (only need one for all four corners) and only cost roughly $24.00.
That's what I was trying to find. I don't want to increase the amperage (load) as that negates the advantage (at least for me) of switching to LED's. Just couldn't remmeber what it was.. thanks for the help guys. Do you happen to have a link lyin' around Knight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
It wouldn't increase the amps it just evens it out so that your signals dont flash rapidly.I understood your question and answered it correctly.
My mistake. Eye's learnin' hear, bound to make myself look a fool but I'll get better.

Thanks for the help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,165 Posts
Lacessit said:
Knightslugger said:
Alternatively (and my prefered method) is to replace the stock relay with a universal flash relay. These are time based relays that do not set flash rates by amperage draw. you can use any setup of lights you want with one installed (only need one for all four corners) and only cost roughly $24.00.
That's what I was trying to find. I don't want to increase the amperage (load) as that negates the advantage (at least for me) of switching to LED's. Just couldn't remmeber what it was.. thanks for the help guys. Do you happen to have a link lyin' around Knight?
yeah, actually, i do.

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/FLASHER_RELAY/flasher_relay.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the link too. I'd like to have front & rear LED turn signals AND running lights... flashing at appropriate speeds. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
PIAA H4 "hyperwhite" headlight
LP flat oval flushmount turn signals
Competition Werks intergrated brake light
LP carbon fiber mirrors w/ integrated led turn signals "HOT" (haven't seen anyone with these)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
anybody have any experience with emgo clear turn signals?
the other choice out of the dennis kirk book is "clear alternatives" that are $10 more for 4

also, i believe both sets come with regular lights, could i just go to my auto place and get some led's that would fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
For those that have purchased the integrated tailight kit (found on most sites for ~$108), does it use the stock connectors? The description mentions that it does, but I have previously found out that this does not necessarily mean it's true. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
hollywood said:
PIAA H4 "hyperwhite" headlight
LP flat oval flushmount turn signals
Competition Werks intergrated brake light
LP carbon fiber mirrors w/ integrated led turn signals "HOT" (haven't seen anyone with these)
I was curious on your mirror turns, how did you run the wiring once the mirrors were mounted? Did you drill another hole in the fairing/mounting bracket?

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
sojon said:
anybody have any experience with emgo clear turn signals?
the other choice out of the dennis kirk book is "clear alternatives" that are $10 more for 4

also, i believe both sets come with regular lights, could i just go to my auto place and get some led's that would fit?
the emgo's worked fine but the lightbulbs they came with were only single filament ambers
i went to auto zone and got some silverstar to replace them (they didnt have amber led's)
$12 per pair on the silverstars

but it looks clean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
In that youtube video he was talking about a box you hook up the wires to. i dont see the box under my seat or im overlooking it. where is it located under a 99's seat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
The "box" in my vid is a "Universal Trailer Wiring Converter" or something close to that name. You get it at an auto parts store - I've seen them at Advance Auto Parts ($11.88), O'Reilly ($12.99), and maybe AutoZone.

You won't find it in your bike until you add it ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Thanks man. I have blinkers now :D that video you posted at the top really came in handy. About every 30 seconds i ran back inside to watch it again and study it. :p
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top