Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished setting my valve clearances and now it seems like it is running too rich. I adjusted the idle to 1200 rpm but when I rev it the rpms stay at 3k and then work down to 2k after a few seconds and after a bit it finally goes down to 1200 or so. On top of that when I get on it while riding it lags and get a little jerky from 4500 to 6k but picks up again through the rest of the range. I feel like it has more power than before but I can smell fuel when I stop. All I did was adjust the valves and now it's putting in more fuel than before. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Re: Post valve work problem

drumn2121 said:
I adjusted the idle to 1200 rpm but when I rev it the rpms stay at 3k and then work down to 2k after a few seconds and after a bit it finally goes down to 1200 or so.
Sounds like a possible air leak. Check your engine-side carb boots to make sure they're properly seated, clamps tightened, and free of damage. Loose boot clamp caused hanging rev symptoms for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Post valve work problem

So I was working with the bike again today and I noticed that the right side carb was staying a lot cooler than the left one on the bottom. I also noticed that the right side exhaust was putting out a lot of whiteish smoke. I tore everything back down and noticed that the smaller line going to the PAIR valve had a small tear right above the connection. I took it off and cut the bad piece off and put it back on. Then I pulled the plugs and notice that the right one was wet fouled. I drained out both carbs of fuel, replaced both spark plugs and put it all back together. Now everything seems to be running normal and no more gas smell or smoke. It also doesn't act up when I'm moving through 4k to 6k rpms anymore. I'm thinking that it was a combination of the hose and not putting the boot all the way on the right side plug. I think that was flooding out the right cylinder and causing a lot of my issues. Oh and I am refering to right and left as if you were sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
you still have a problem in the right car, float valve is not sealing completely . New plugs are masking the problem (for now) check by holding 4000 reve steady if it starts to stumble thats the confirmation that too much fuel.

FOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts