Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, this has happened about 5 or more times. it usually happens when i'm in third or fourth gear. i start to lose power, and i think maybe it'll go away, but it ends up totally shutting down and i hafta pull off to the side of the road. after about 3-5 times turning the bike over it turns on.(it clicks, like *click click click* then it turns on..... it happened a couple times last summer and it has happened 2-3 times this year. just tonight i went for a little 30 mile or so ride and it happened. any thoughts?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possibly, i have no clue......it happens once in a blue moon and before today it only happened in teh first 2-3 miles of driving it. today it happened after about 10-15 miles.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
could be some bad connections too.  take out the battery and charge it an approved battery charger, low charge.  about 1 amp overnight, or 5 for an hour just to make sure it's charged up right.  make sure the electrolyte level is good before you charge.  top off with distilled water if it's low, make sure the caps are on tight when you're done.  clean all the main connections.  battery, solenoid (under the left rear fairing) lines to starter.  slather some corrosion inhibitor on all the connections when you put everything back together.  if it happens again, my money is on the battery or the charging system... but we'll leave the rest of the diagnosis for when/if that happens.  there are other things to consider.

·
Registered
192 Posts
it might be the jetting... im not sure the altitude of pittsburgh, but it might have been jetted for an area that was of significant altitude difference

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well not really any problems until i think it was yesterday or the day before. once again, about a mile out of the driveway, it died, oil light came on. tried starting about 4-6 times before it finally fired back up. it was like clicking the first few times. i can't even think when the problem started, not until at least 2 months after i had it though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts