Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I been hearing alot about powerbands and seen little about it on this site so what is it and how does it work?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
it's basically the rpm range where the engine is giving it's best performance.

Don't try to walk to the dealer and ask to get one, it's not bolt-on :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I knew it was something like that but I have only really noticed a boost of power at certain points. If im on the highway punching the engine then I will sometimes notice that it suddenly gets easier on the engine and drops some rpm's almost like slipping into a higher gear. Is this the powerband?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Agia said:
drops some rpm's almost like slipping into a higher gear. Is this the powerband?
No, that's called a problem. Under straight acceleration, your bike should not lose rpms, well not until the needle bumps against the red zone..

On this bike, it's between 5000 to 10 000 rpm. That's where this engine pull stronger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will actually keep my speed and get less strain on the engine. I have noticed it only when im really running my engine wide open. Only engine problem I have had is almost like a line clog where my bike will shut off when im riding and left off the gas. Has happened about 4 out of the 200 times I have ridden. Not something I want to happen when im going down the highway. From what I have read on here it sounds like I need to clean my carbs and that was my assumption since its almost like a clog. That and perhaps change the fuel filter and run a cleaner through the lines?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're in it with a lot of throttle and the RPMs start dropping and speed picks up, I would say your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
treefrog said:
If you're in it with a lot of throttle and the RPMs start dropping and speed picks up, I would say your clutch is slipping.
That's a little backwards. If the clutch were slipping the bike would slow down or stay constant and the rpms would go up, like revving in neutral to an extent.

I think I know what's going on. If you're cruising near WOT and the bike gets faster while the engine has less load on it then there's obviously an external force acting on the bike. Next time it happens, check 2 things. First, check to see if your front tire is lower than your rear tire. You might be going down a hill. If that's not the case, then check your mirrors. There's a chance that you've been hit by a car and are being pushed down the road.

:D

Your RPM and speed should increase and decrease steadily (not equally, gear ratios ensure that both gauges don't go up together). If you're running wide open and get near the "rev limiter" (I'm not so sure it's a limiter as much as it's just the inability of the bike to go any higher on the tach) the bike will surge and jerk rapidly as the rpms peak and drop out.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Another thought. You say you're going wide open when this happens (or maybe someone else said that) - but how high are your rpms when you punch it. If they're too low to start with in a given gear then the engine will chug a little to get moving and once it does get closer to the powerband (and over the point of lowest optimal RPM in that gear) it'll get easier for the motor to push and it'll take off. RPM doesn't drop, but the engine doesn't have to work as hard to gain speed.

To me this is likely what's going on, and it's not a problem. You'd be better off to use a little more of your rpms if this is the case, though, these little engines like more revs. You don't have to run it at redline all the time, but don't go driving it like a Camry, either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nick D said:
treefrog said:
That's a little backwards. If the clutch were slipping the bike would slow down or stay constant and the rpms would go up, like revving in neutral to an extent.
Sorry Nick, you misunderstood. Let me 'splain it better. I meant if he was already on the throttle hard with the clutch out (clutch is slipping at this point) and THEN the rpms started to drop (that would be when the clutch is starting to get its act together and stops slipping), speed would increase (cause the clutch ain't slipping any more).
Does that make more sense? Sorry if it was confusing. ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Gotcha - I was thinking of when it starts to slip, you're looking at the other end when it stops slipping. Now we're on the same page (unless I'm still in the wrong book :p)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts