Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!! This topic is for people who still ride/race the old workhorses and would like to swap technical and modification info. What have you done, how and so on. Please post questions, how to's, pics and instructions on all kinds of mods that you have come across or done yourself.

My first post is a question:
1. I need measurements on custom dogbones to raise the rear 2" so that i can have them made. Anybody done this mod on 1st gen??
2. Any problems fitting Lasertec 120/80 and 150/80 tires on a 1st gen??

Cheers
Jakob

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Sit tight Jacob,

Fog has a design in the works for Dog Bones for the first Gen Bikes. I will soon be able to offer them a reasonable prices.

You can contact me directlly at my Email add in my profile.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
Sit tight Jacob,

Fog has a design in the works for Dog Bones for the first Gen Bikes. I will soon be able to offer them a reasonable prices.

FOG
Are you going to make them adjustable like we discussed in that thread oh so long ago, or are you making some more economical 1-piece parts? Just curious what you're working on over there.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Oh I forgot about the tires. that 120 width front is fine, you will need to file the fender bolt heads to about 1/2 their thickness to avoid the tire rub. Removing the fender or fork brace will help some too. The 80 series sound tall and I look around for a 60/70 aspect ratio tire.

on the rear I fear that 150 /80 is again too tall. depending on the gearing chosen and where in the adjustment range the wheel rides you may rub the bottom of the swing arm slot.

I haven't raced a 1 gen bike for 7 years so there might be an acceptable tire out there. Be prepared for using the "Only " one. The strange size of this bikes wheels limits the racing to what amounts to a Spec tire class.

The best thing to do is to contact the tire guy at your track, and find out what others are using.

FOG

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Nick D said:
FOG said:
Sit tight Jacob,

FOG

Are you going to make them adjustable like we discussed in that thread oh so long ago, or are you making some more economical 1-piece parts? Just curious what you're working on over there.

My design was for a solid set about .468 shorter cen to cen. This will give the standard 1 1/2 inches of rise that has proven the best. I made a few adjustable sets wich proved to be troublesome. The push pull loads on the links are huge and any sort of locking design soo loosens and then that introduces a amount of un controled suspension movement that is Bad. They are also a PIA to Adjust. and there is only 1 right setting , so why provide for a thousand wrong ones.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
My design was for a solid set about .468 shorter cen to cen. This will give the standard 1 1/2 inches of rise that has proven the best. I made a few adjustable sets wich proved to be troublesome. The push pull loads on the links are huge and any sort of locking design soo loosens and then that introduces a amount of un controled suspension movement that is Bad. They are also a PIA to Adjust. and there is only 1 right setting , so why provide for a thousand wrong ones.

FOG
Sounds perfect to me. Be sure to post up some pictures and/or prices when you're done. I'm glad to hear you're bothering with the 1st gen stuff.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hello and welcome Jaques

You'll find plenty of informations for both gen bikes.

If you have any other questions, don't be shy :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again,

Thanks FOG for the info. I might just take my old dogbones off and draw up my own set of engineering drawings for the machinist.
Concerning the tires, i am not and will not be racing my bike and therefore only looking for suitable street tires. I just got in the mail a lightly used Lasertec 120/80-16 tire which was very cheap and am now only looking for the rear tire. Lasertec has a 150/80 which is supposed to fit but if anybody has other options they know of I'm all ears.

As for my bike, when finished, it will be a streetfighter and I'm looking to set it up as a very stable city runabout with fat tires and a nice deep sound.

So far i have:
Muzzy 2-1
Raptor fairing
Metzeler Lasertec 120/80-16 front
Mini-turnsignals
Carbon mirrors
Filterpods

Coming:
Fat rear tire
Custom made alloy risers
Shorter dogbones
Streetfighter style handlebar
Modified/cutdown rear fairings
New pegs
New paint

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Can we see it ? :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet as it is in the stripped assembly stage. Hopefully i'll have some time to put it together within the next month.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again. Now my question concerns the filter/carb/exhaust setup. I will be running filter pods and a Muzzy 2-1 exhaust. What setup for the carb will work? Post tried and tested setups (no speculations please). Not looking for power or track performance just a smooth ride and working carbs.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
meh, id say ditch the filter pods. they seem to be more trouble than they are worth. if you are really into them though, be prepared to do lots carb tuning.

as for the muzzy, set your pilot screws ~2.5 turns out. adjust it while running, so you can hear where it runs best at. i think mine are actually at like 3.25 turns :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dragknee said:
meh, id say ditch the filter pods. they seem to be more trouble than they are worth. if you are really into them though, be prepared to do lots carb tuning.

as for the muzzy, set your pilot screws ~2.5 turns out. adjust it while running, so you can hear where it runs best at. i think mine are actually at like 3.25 turns :)
The problem is that i don't have the airbox so i have to either go with the pods or make a new restricted airflow box with a universal panelfilter inside.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The 2 main problems with pods are that air turbulence (passing vehicles and such) can cause the engine to surge a little. I noticed it most with new filters on my KZ that was set a little lean. I've heard EX owners who did it and didn't have major (or any) problems.

The other problem is that you may have to dive into the carbs and rejet. With just an exhaust the pilot screws will make up the difference, but when you also add pods you may get out of the adjustment range. The only way to really tell is slap them on and tune it up. If you read up on ChopperCharles' mods he gets into how to rejet for pods and exhaust, including using shims to fine tune.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
gen 1 mods on my '88:

'89 GSXR-750 ft end (43mm rightside up cartrige forks) w/ 1 GSXR caliper & 120/70/17
Ninja 600 alum. swing arm (don't know what year but pre '92) w/ 17" GSXR rim and brake w/ 160/60/17
re-enforced frame (doubled up frame width on the side and a bar across the top)
1/4 turn push/pull race throttle
Kerker header w/ a Yoshi cannister
Fox shock
steering dampner (which i just took off for street use)
F2 race tail section mounted to lightweight crome moly tube subsection
rear set
whammy lower fairing

My SuperBike motor which i don't have in the bike right now is 81hp on the dyno, (when fresh, ie new rings, etc) @ 649cc w/8mm over Wiseco pistons + stroked (1.5mm stroke) Carillo rods + 1.5mm spacer plate + Falicon crank w/ 37mm smooth bore CR carbs, megacycle cams, oil cooler, plus all the usual stuff like 1mm over stainless valves and polish and porting on the head and knife edged and worked crank, timing advance, lightened flywheel, no charging system, hvy duty clutch springs w/ kevlar clutch plates, etc.. she runs great on 116 octane...
I see the guy who makes the piston kits is still around, Engine Dynamics @

http://www.enginedynamics.com/kits/kawasaki.shtml

The CC's might be a little higher then that, that was a conservative race track est.. : )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Situation update!

So far i have:
Muzzy 2-1
Raptor fairing
Metzeler Lasertec 120/80-16 front and 150/80-16 rear[/color]
Mini-turnsignals
Carbon mirrors
Filterpods
Alloy fighter style handlebar[/color]

Coming:
Custom made alloy risers
Shorter dogbones
Modified/cutdown rear fairings
New pegs
New paint
Custom airbox

Pulled the swingarm yeasterday and took off the dogbones. Will send them off to machinist tomorrow. Also noticed the swing was rusty so will take it to be sandblasted and painted. After reading about pods and carbs and such here i have come to the conclusion i have to fabricate a new custom airbox for the bike and fit universal panel filter in it. Otherwise according to some here i'll run into loads of dificulties seting up the carbs. Shouldn't be too hard making a box with some holes in it and fitting it to the carbs. Already have one which was inteded to house the electronis under the seat. Should work. As almost a newbe to motocycles and especially working on them i was surprised how easy it was to for example remove the swing. Have to see what problems i run into in this streetfighter project.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If you really want pods, it shouldn't be THAT bad. If you don't want the hassle and just want to ride the airbox is the way to go.

I noticed this in the classifieds, in case you're interested. I'm pretty sure the airbox never changed (you might check first to verify if you buy), so this should work:
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,1424.msg15813.html#msg15813
$30 shipped w/ less than 1000 miles. The filter's probably not even dirty.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That project seems to be coming along very well Jaques.

I'm really curious to see it ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far i have:
Muzzy 2-1
Raptor fairing
Metzeler Lasertec 120/80-16 front and 150/80-16 rear
Mini-turnsignals
Carbon mirrors
Filterpods