Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the guy who owned the bike before me removed the suction valve from the bike and just attached a small hose to connect the two openings where the suction valve should be connected. Can anyone tell me the ramifications of this and the best place to find a new one?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A lot of owners do this and there is no problem with it as far as the bike running. It's emissions stuff and having it off helps get rid of popping the the exhaust that annoys a lot of non-Harley riders The suction valve actually forms a Y with one end going to the airbox and the other two going to the top of the valve covers.

Just make sure that the hole in the airbox is plugged and route a single hose between the two ports on the valve cover. You should be fine. If you really wanted a suction valve and I'm sure someone here on the board has one that they removed. You'll need a couple of hoses too.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Mulcibre said:
are we talking about blow-by recovery here?
No that job is handled by the little rubber hose on the bottom front of the air box. They are refering to a device that forces fresh air into the exhaust tract right behind the exhaust valve to reduce emissions by continuing combustion down the pipe.

FOG

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
ok, so im really reluctant to resurrect an old thread, but I want to get the complete 411 on the air valve removal.

1. connect the two ports on the valve cover with 1 hose

2. plug the hole in the airbox with say, two pieces of duct tape on either side of the hole

3. and the hose that goes to the carbs?

4. anything else? im pulling it out to make more room under my tank for a bigger horn. thanks FOG, and all else

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
thanks pogo. but the hose on the carbs? ? ? just pull it and leave the port on the carbs themselves open?

P

·
0 Posts
cathoholic said:
thanks pogo. but the hose on the carbs? ? ? just pull it and leave the port on the carbs themselves open?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were continuing your 3rd question from the premise of the 2nd question.

Remove that hose and get a rubber/plastic end cap of some sort to stick/glue on there.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
no worries. danke danke!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i cut the hose to about 2 inches long and stuck a screw covered in silicone in the other end. it helps if the screw is maybe a tad bigger than the inner diameter of the hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts