Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I better post up a few pix of my 91 EX restoration progress. This project keeps getting more and more in depth as I find more stuff I want to do to it.

Here she is a couple hours after getting her home, I had the front fairing off before I thought to take a pic.

I always hated those wings. A hacksaw, heat gun, vise, and pliers, and a lot of time, gave me this (still a lot of finish work to do):

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Thanks for the pics.
Everyone needs a hobby or two... or three... or...

Restoring vehicles includes several hobby skills & artistic talents.
And you can save $$$. (Or pour it into a rolling money pit.) ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrSciTrek said:
Thanks for the pics.
Everyone needs a hobby or two... or three... or...

Restoring vehicles includes several hobby skills & artistic talents.
And you can save $$$.
In a couple of the pics, you can catch a glimpse of my last restoration project that has been dead in the water for the last 3 years. But you have to know what you're looking for since I cut it out pretty well. ;) It's a 81 AMC SX4. Eventually I just ran out of time, money, and motivation. Compared to working on a bike, cars are a real PITA.

Got the rear wheel painted today too. I used Dupli-Color graphite wheel paint and clear coat. Much better methinks. I'll give it a week to cure then I will have the new tire put on, should look awesome.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
81 AMC SX4?
Something like this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pittsburgh Ninja said:
those wheels look real nice. mine are currently black, but i want a different color, not sure what yet
is that what you used ??? http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html
Thanks. Yes that's it. Was about $6 per can at my Autozone. I used almost a full can of paint and 1/2 can of clear on one wheel. I followed the directions to the letter and even got the pre-wipes it recommended. Turned out pretty clean. You can't see the contrast between rubber and paint so well in my pic cuz it's an old tire that needs replacing so I just painted over it. The pic really doesn't do it justice either, in person it is smooth and really glossy, has a great shine.

MrSciTrek said:
81 AMC SX4?
Something like this?

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/images/sx4sport_81.jpg[/img
[/quote]

Yup, same thing. I think I know the owner of that car too, it's got about a 2" lift IIRC.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
sweet car.

Am I right thinking those were built with cherokee parts ? Do they have a low gear too ?

Anyways, nice project too, didn't knew cans could to such a good job for the wheels, let us know if it's as durable as it looks :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frog said:
sweet car.

Am I right thinking those were built with cherokee parts ? Do they have a low gear too ?

Anyways, nice project too, didn't knew cans could to such a good job for the wheels, let us know if it's as durable as it looks :)
Close. If anything, the Cherokee was built with AMC parts, since the Eagles came first. It's rumored that the Eagle was a sort of test bed for ideas for the Cherokee. But about the only thing shared is the driveline, and it's got some differences too. They only came with a single speed transfer case, but a hi-lo unit from a Jeep is a direct swap.

Honestly, I didn't think the rattle job would turn out so well either. But I've really loving it, I got it on just thick enough it almost looks like it was powdercoated. :) I tried to get a better pic to show just how nice the surfuce is but my camera just isn't good enough to pick it up right.

I hacked off the side helmet locks. First of all I don't have keys for them and secondly, why would you want your helmet that close to the hot cans?

An idea I've been mulling over for the tail light. I don't want integrated signals, but I don't want pods mounted at the sides of the tail either. A custom light assembly seems like the best option and I have the material to do it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Messing around with the tail light. I got the lens made, working on the housing now. Picture's pretty bad, I know. I think I want to flip it around though so the angles slope downward, matches the lines better.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That look pretty good

Can you detail how you got it done ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I probably could have moulded a lens, I took the easy route. I stopped by the junkyard and hunted around until I found a car with suitable tails. I used my friend the bandsaw to cut out the sections I needed (got to be really careful and get the joints perfect) and used arcrylic glue to bond the parts together. For the housing/reflector, I'm recycling the car's too. It's ABS so the job is so simple. Again the bandsaw to get the reflectors cut to size and ABS panels to box it all together. The result will look OEM and non-riders will never know the difference.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lucky#13 said:
I'm not a fan of the streetfight either , but I agree that's is a great job . Keep us posted on the progress .
Oh don't worry, no streetfighter here. I've got a pretty red upper fairing waiting to go on very last, and a chin fairing too.

I'm going to try to get some more done tonight but not sure if I'll have the time. (Buttload of stuff going on, topping the list is my taxes which I still haven't got done :p ) I was going to have the rear tire mounted today but I forgot to put the bearings back in so I got them in a few minutes ago and will take it to the shop tommorrow.

This project does have a bit of a deadline, I have 17 days until the MSF class..... :)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New pic, pretty bad though. Slowly getting there....

·
Registered
192 Posts
you should just go "street fighter" after the wrecks.... it is a much cheaper solution than replacing plastic

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the look of fairings though. :p And it was only $100, not that big a deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts