Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't know what section this was suppose to be in, but I am about to purchase a 01 Ninja 500. Problem is that it has 27,000 miles. I checked it out and it looks very clean and runs strong (the owner commutes 40 miles everyday on it).

My question is, after I buy the bike (He's asking $2100). Do I need to do any major maintenance repairs such as changing the clutch, flush out the transmission fluid, and etc. I heard these two hurt your wallet.

Thanks! Hope to be part of the community.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would change the oil just so I know it was changed. As far as hurting your wallet, i would disagree if you can do it yourself. I would also change all the fluids, spark plugs, check the air filter and find out when the valves were last adjusted. All that should be less than 100 bucks if you do it yourself. Do the research, learn your bike, DIY and save some cash. You'll know it was done right also. Good luck. Remember to post some pics when you take her home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Peraonally I wouldn't pay $2100 for a 27,000mile bike. I paid $2500 for a 1,500 mile bike. I'd say find a different bike or try and get it for $1500 or less. 27,000 miles is alot.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You change the 'transmission fluid' at the same time you change the oil... They share the same oil pan ;)

Did it for 40 Canucks bux yesterday.. that included the tool to take the oil filter off and full synthetic oil at 30$ for 1 gallon

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If it would've been tightened right, I totally agree..

In this case, both my father and I tried to unscrew it for 20 minutes before we decided we needed that socket..

Then when I tried the tool, it chewed the filter but did not unscrew it..

After that I was able to undo it by hand, with both hands, while my 'helper' kept the bike from falling over..

BTW, rubber bands were needed and I pried some skin off my palms during the operation.. But all is good now, I screwed it on by hand.

I will not ask that gorilla at the local bike shop to work on my ride ever again, I promise ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
A screwdriver and a hammer would have worked as well.

I don't understand why shops put them on so damn tight...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use the kind of wrench that looks like an oversize pair of pliers. Never had one yet that would not come off that way.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It was my first time, I was worried I could twist the can off and still be stucked with the threading in there..

I did tap on it during all that process, I'm sure it did make a positive difference.

Anyways, do your oil changes yourself, it's a great experience :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts