Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I just be able to remove links from my chain if I use a smaller front sprocket? If so, what it the best / correct tool for this.

Looking at either a 15 or 14 tooth. What are the ups and downs of going to a 14 tooth?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
You won't have to any combination of front and rear theeth that total 54 -58 wil work with the standard 104 link chain. some combinations near the top, with a big fat tire may rub but anything at 130 will be fine.

FOG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool!!! I forgot that I still have some chain adjustment in the lower arms.

I appreciate It.

Any reason to think of why I wouldn't want to just slap a 14 tooth front sprocket on and call it a day?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Top speed will drop

More vibrations on the highway

Increased gas consumption

You might feel like you would need a 7th gear in your tranny..

Some peoples want to go back to a 16 front sprocket after trying the 15th, it's too much of a change for them ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't nessicarily mind If I could power some wheelies on this bike too. I am an experienced metal fabricator and am already thinking of how to make a set of crash cages and 12 bars for this bike. Maybe in the future I could make them for you guys as well!!!

My new question would be how much time does it take to swap out a sprocket? I assume really quick on these bikes.

Maybe I'll get the 14 and the 15. If I could swap back and forth easily, say at the drag strip, etc, etc then I would be ok. Would I be better off getting a front and rear combo going?

I would drag the bike, so a gear combo that would give me the best et's without running out of speed before the trapps would be ideal.

Lay it all out for me.

How do I gear this thing so it has more around town power, and not completely kill the top end. I hear the bikes run out of steam before they run out of rev's in 6th gear.

What works for everyone as far as combinations of front and rear sprockets go???

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm running 15/42. It is NOT a wheelie machine. I can clutch it up fairly easy, but just cranking on the throttle isn't going to bring up the tire (without shifting weight and such). During a hard 1-2 shift it'll carry the tire a little, but not more than a few inches for a few feet down the road. That's my $0.02, hopefully someone can throw in a few words about a 14/42 or a 15/44 (close to the same gearing, 3.0:1 and 2.93:1 respectively).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vid was nasty.

I have heard others say they looped a 500 really easily, I assume it has something to do with the weight and the wheel base. If that is the case, then I will have to be careful and not try it. I only fell once on a dirt bike doing a wheelie, but I wasn't injured, niether was the bike I rode the wheelie through the gears and gave it too much on my shift into third.

I am mainly just looking at what gear combo will make the bike a little quicker without too much compromise on top end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick D said:
I'm running 15/42. It is NOT a wheelie machine. I can clutch it up fairly easy, but just cranking on the throttle isn't going to bring up the tire (without shifting weight and such). During a hard 1-2 shift it'll carry the tire a little, but not more than a few inches for a few feet down the road. That's my $0.02, hopefully someone can throw in a few words about a 14/42 or a 15/44 (close to the same gearing, 3.0:1 and 2.93:1 respectively).
Thanks. Almost sounds like the 15/42 would be a good one for me.

Any Idea where the bike tops out at?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
somewhere around 120mph stock

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Titanium said:
Thanks. Almost sounds like the 15/42 would be a good one for me.

Any Idea where the bike tops out at?
No idea on top speed, I've never really wound it out. I've done plenty of cruising upwards of 70mph, with stints of passing at 85 or 90mph (indicated speed, not accounting for speedo error) and never really felt like I was running out of steam.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Titanium said:
I have heard others say they looped a 500 really easily, I assume it has something to do with the weight and the wheel base. If that is the case, then I will have to be careful and not try it.
Sounds more like a case of bad form, to me. I'm not a wheelie pro, but what little I've played with I'd think that looping an EX would take a little effort or a bad judgment in braking (or not) and weight placement.

Knock on wood.

;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will start with the 15t Sprocket for now. Thanks For all the input and help.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick D said:
Frog said:
somewhere around 120mph stock
Downhill. With a tailwind. And measured by the uncorrected speedometer.

:p
true ;D

But you forgot to mention you need the fairings in place and a good fresh wax on top of all that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts