Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I attempted to sync my carbs today using the two bottle tool like the one on this tutorial

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_synchronize_the_carburetors?

First are you suppose to sync the carbs when the bike is warm or cold? I assumed warm because you wouldn't want to sync with the choke engaged. Yet the link above mentions that you don't want your bike to get to warm.

Also at what RPM should you sync them? I would get it synced at idle, but then when I revved up to say 4k it would go way off. If I synced at 4k then it would be off at idle. I'm pretty sure I saw Dad or FOG mention that they should be synced at idle with a slight tension on the cable, but wouldn't you want your carbs to be optimized for a RPM you would actually ride at rather then idle?

The tutorial at the link above also mentions that you shouldn't open the "throttle or butterflies" while syncing. Aren’t the butterflies what you are adjusting in the first place?

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Wouldn't you rather have a nice smooth running engine when your using it, then one that Idles fine.

FOG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Until I get mine syc by the dealer I set mine up by adjusting them to evenly match one of the small holes in the carb throat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what I thought, but in the post below post it it kind of sounded like you recomended setting it at just above idle rather then an operating RPM like 4k, so I wasn't sure. Opening the throttle a little bit put's "slight tension" on the cable, opening it to 4k or 5k does more then just tension the cable.

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,874.0.html

I set it at 4k so it should be fine from what I understand. All this does is adjust the angle between the two throttle butterflies so that the vacum in both carbs is identical and thus the same amount of air and fuel is going into each cylinder. Correct?

Eric

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
yep
FOG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts