Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting ready to change my chain and both sprockets. One of the manuals I read says the swingarm has to come off. No problem, but I'm wondering if the centerstand is stable enough for me to do what I need to do. If I really have to wrench on some stuff, I would hate for the bike to tip over.

Am I going about this the right way? And is the centerstand stable enough for this job?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question about the safety and stability of working on a bike on it's centers

Pardon my ignorance, but if I cut the old chain to get it out, how do get the new chain in place?

I ordered front and rear sprockets and a new chain.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
The new chain will come with a clip. you attach the chain ends together using the supplied master link and a backing plate along with the clip.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: Question about the safety and stability of working on a bike on it's centers

I just did my chain and sprockets a few hundred miles back and you don't have to take off your swingarm... It's very easy actually. I had to buy a chain breaker/pressing tool for $100, used it and took it back!

I

·
0 Posts

it was stable enough for me when i did this exact same thing. just be extra careful when you have to use some muscle.

oh and pressing the new chain together is a major PITA without the right tool.

·
Registered
440 Posts
While you're down there you may want to take off the swingarm to lube the pivot anyway. Then you can assemble the new chain on a bench with the right tools and put it on before you replace the swingarm.

One trick I use is to put a wedge behind the centerstand pivot so I can't accidentially push the bike forward off the stand. Otherwise if you don't rock the bike side to side too much while you're working on it you should be fine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Independentfool said:
it was stable enough for me when i did this exact same thing. just be extra careful when you have to use some muscle.

oh and pressing the new chain together is a major PITA without the right tool.
your sig is huge liek xbox

1 - 8 of 8 Posts