Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Mine has it...you just hit the hazard button on the left side by the choke. The key has to be in the ON or PARK position though.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not seeing it, I see choke, headlight switch,turnsignal switch and horn on clutch side, and killswitch and starter on brake side.

Hmm yours is gen 1, no? maybe they removed it on the gen 2's?

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah mine is a gen 1. Left side, big red button. Maybe gens2 don't have it, never looked for it on them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My '97 (gen 2) has a hazard light button. My friend's 2002 does not, I know some of the gen 2's have them, but I think they've discontinued it. I have no idea why though, I think it's an essential feature. Had to use it a couple of times when I ran out of fuel in the middle of the road before I could turn it to reserve. I don't have a camera handy, but I'll see if I can scrape up a picture somehow.

R

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the newer second Gens don't have it - mines an '02 and doesn't have it.

Maybe removed cause too many people killed their batteries leaving hazards on when they went for a walk to get gas?

·
Registered
114 Posts
my 98 does not have hazards, I was dissapointed as my cousins Gen 1 had them and I thought it was a neat feature. I would imagine you could easily swap parts to equip the bike with hazards if one were so inclined. I'm too lazy and broke.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Royson said:
Maybe removed cause too many people killed their batteries leaving hazards on when they went for a walk to get gas?
That would be my guess.

I think you could get an early 2nd gen or even a 1st gen switch installed there, it's only wires after all ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
It has to be in run or park to do that, so the tail light would kill the battery anyway (eventually, flashers and tail lights are pretty low power)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was just at our local dealer a few weeks ago and stopped by to look at the 500's they had in the showroom. The 2 they had both had the hazard buttons. I noticed b/c the controls looked a bit more rounded/polished off than my 96 controls.

The parts diagram for the '07 shows the hazard button on the left handlebar housing assembly-control (part #46091-1671)
http://kawasaki.com/Scripts/ImgServ...F2310.TIF&ilSC=45&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I have an 07 and I can assure you there is no Hazard button anywhere on it!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
From the bottom up, the left controls on my 2005: horn, turn signal, bright-dim.
Move in for the choke... no other buttons there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can add some confusion to this topic, but I don't know the answer as to "why"

I have an 04 kawasaki 500EX that does NOT have the 4 way flashers.

But get this, the owners manual for my bike shows a 4 way flasher and describes how to use it.
(this is weird because there is no 4 way flasher switch on the bike) the PO said it never had one.

How is it some bikles have the flasher and some don't ??

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Royson said:
Maybe that's what they tell people instead of saying, "Hazards aren't required, and it's cheaper to not put it on."

That might answer the question, though. Maybe they put the hazards on bikes that are likely to go to people that don't have enough arse to push start when the battery does die. :D :p ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
just to add even more confusion on this, tha hazzards on my bike will only work if the key is in and at the 'on' position..

Can't have hazzards without the key..

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Frog said:
just to add even more confusion on this, tha hazzards on my bike will only work if the key is in and at the 'on' position..

Can't have hazzards without the key..
You can't turn it a step further to Park and pull the key out?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Didn't try that :-\

I'll check ..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember reading something about the 4-way flasher thing, my manual for my 05 shows them but the bike does not have the switch. I think it has something to do with it being a Canadian model (ie KM/h not MPH on the spedo) I do remeber some one saying it was a change to and from in the late 90's one year had them the next didn't then they came back again, so ya I think its kawasaki F***ing with our minds

1 - 20 of 27 Posts