Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Some questions about gen1's:

Is there anyway to lower the rear brake pedal?
(angle it down), there is about an inch of free play with my pedal and I want to bring that down to none so that I can place my foot on it comfortably. The pedal is def aftermarket from previous owner.

When you get on your bike do you hear a long whining beep?
It sounds like an electrical sound not trapped air.

How do I get rid of the loud squeal when I use the rear drum brake?
Some one said that it may be dust trapped in the drum...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
So the whining noise is with the key on or off? And you're sure it's not the tank vent talking (the air comment)? Not to be a smartass, but could it be air escaping from under the seat cover when you sit down? I've never had my bike do it, but vinyl can trap air. The bike doesn't have a fuel pump, so I don't know what could make that sound electronically.

Get rid of the squeal? Take it apart, clean it, and put in new pads. Dust will make noise, but if the pads have any age or use on them you may as well replace them while you're in there. They might be glazed even if they have wear left.

And to adjust the pedal - if you take a look at your rear drum you'll notice a long arm that actuates the brake - it runs from the drum to your pedal. On one end is a spring and a nut you can adjust to set where it grabs. When I got my bike it was completely out of whack. I tried just adjusting the nut and it would never grab. I replaced the pads and ended up having to take the wear indicator and the drum attachment off of the gear it slides onto and move it a tooth to tighten it up. I ended up tightening it until the brake would drag (spin the wheel with the bike on the center stand and it stops when you let go) and then adjusting it out until I was happy with it. It really helped the location of the pedal (I'd almost have to push it straight up and down before I felt any rear brake) and made the brakes actually work. Now she'll lock up if I just jump on the rear brake.

If you're talking about moving it the other way, it's just a matter of playing with that adjustment, I presume. I can try and get more in depth if need be.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
3 notes:

The hardest part of taking the rear wheel off to look at things was fitting the tire around that big, ugly rear fender. The rest was cake. Just pay attention to the order of the parts on the axle - but you can get that from the diagrams if it gets mixed up.

When you take the part off of the drum brake (the thing on the gear that is part of the brake and attaches to the rod), take the bolt all the way out. It sits in a groove and you can't just loosen it and slide it off, IIRC. Took me a minute to figure that out.

Also, to take that off for adjustments you'll likely have to loosen the axle nut, there's not much clearance. You can adjust the rod as it sits, but I couldn't get that piece off the gear without more room.

That's all that popped into my head so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nick.

The whine doesn't really bother me, i was just wondering... I could swear it was an electronic sound.

Yeah I figured I had to replace the rear drum sooner rather than later.

The screw on the back? underneath the drum brake? Should I screw this in until I can lower the pedal? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
SuperSanka said:
The whine doesn't really bother me, i was just wondering... I could swear it was an electronic sound.

Yeah I figured I had to replace the rear drum sooner rather than later.

The screw on the back? underneath the drum brake? Should I screw this in until I can lower the pedal? Thanks.
The sound could be electronic, I just don't know what it could be myself.

If you look at this picture, the "thing" I keep talking about to adjust it on the geared piece is part number 42029, Lever-Brake Cam. The bolt is part number 114. That's how you make large amount of adjustment, if the nut (see below this section) won't take up enough adjustment.

As for the adjustment on the rod, see the pic below. Part number 43011 is the rod. The spring is part 43012, there's a pin on there next (part 92043A that the nut rests against, it goes in the opening on the bottom of part 42029 in the top picture), and then part 92015 is the nut you turn to adjust the pedal.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
could it be a short to the horn causing that sound ?

If I put my tank bag on the bike and then turn the key, the horn will sound 9 out of 10 times, cause the bag is pressing the switch..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i think its the tank vent. Its a long beep.

And thanks again nick for the informative pics.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
No problem. You can always find them on Kawasaki's site in the Owner Info section under Parts Diagrams. They've helped me out a few different times.

Easy way to tell if it's the tank vent, if you're quick, is to open the cap when it makes the noise. If you can get it open before it vents itself you should hear a suction type noise as you let air in. If it's wheezing it could probably use a bit of cleaning, there might be crap in it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you go about cleaning it? Doesn't that mean its rusted? :(

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I was told by a very wise man - FOG :p - if I remember correctly, that crap can get in the hole and you can clean it out with a paperclip. I believe the metal hose coming out of the back of the tank is one, and your cap should also be venting. I hope I'm not mixing up different bikes here. The cap vent is just a small hole that you can clean with the paper clip I mentioned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts