Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've googled and checked out this site and I still cant find what the brake pad #'s our for our bikes. I did fine FA129 but is that the front or rear? So if anyone could tell me the right number I would appreciate it. I called the local bike shop and they wanted $50 just for the rear, so I will be ordering online as soon as I can find out what # I need to use. I guess I should go w/EBC? One last thing, how hard is it to change the pads yourself? THanks guy

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Go to EBC's Webpage and browse the catalog. it's in there, i've looked it up before. as for ease of replacement? Remove caliper, remove pads, install pads, reinstall, FIN. that easy. you MAY need to push pistons back into the caliper ever so slightly to regain clearance, but you can do that with a c-clamp and some wood.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
You can do that (quick change of pads) But doing so is the biggest cause of long term Brake problems. Go to the FYI section and read Complete Caliper service.

FOG

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thanks guys, got the correect #'s. As far as the complete calipar serivice is that 100% neccessary? I can do it, but no time till later on during the summer. My rear pads are pretty much gone so I need to change those asap. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
I know FOG will disagree, but i do not think it to be absolutely necessary every time you change break pads. A good idea? Sure, doesn't hurt the bike at all... but i wouldn't rebuild a caliper that's a few years old and looks new, sorry. In the short term, it's fine, but in the long term, it's good.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
The issue with just pushing in the pistons to fit new pads is dirt. Specfically the dirt that get under the dust cap . when you push that back into the caliper body it can and will damage the seal and will eventually cause the piston/s to stick. The other thing is the sliding pins need help about as often as pads need to be changed. Help means cleaning anf re greasing.

FOG

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
There ain't no rebuilding. There's nothing to rebuild. It's just a alumunium cylinder (the caliper) with a groove in it to hold a Square section seal appropiate drillings for the passage of oil and the needed dirt protection. There is nothing to "rebuild". If the piston are rusted or the seal get damaged, you just replace those parts.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
If you disassemble a caliper, you must reassemble it, or in otherwords, rebuild it. that's why i'm saying rebuild. They are synonyms...

Your service piece for the OP to peruse: >>>LINK<<<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts