Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering buying an '06 500 but the bike has been lowered 1.5". my question is, is it hard to raise it?, he has the stock parts but wanted to know if it is easy to do this on my own. the price of the bike is very good but if i need to bring it to a shop to raise it then i might ask him to lower it. is it as easy as bolt on bolt off type of deal. also do i need special equipment(stands, etc.). advice is appreciated

G

·
If the bike still has its center stand and you can handle unscrewing two bolts you can put the stock parts back on.

Rich

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It's like changing the dogbones.. Actually, that's what it is ;)

Ask around, many did it themselves

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mine was lowered without changing anything. The prev owner just took all the preload off.

If the guy says he have all the original parts, he must have changed the dogbones. Getting a shorter shock wouldn't make much sense..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys he says he'll show me how to do it and said it took him only 10 min. to do, looks like i will be getting the bike soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find a thread on lowering the bike? I think I'd be a tiny bit more comfortable if I was an inch or two lower. Plus, my sister's bike is too tall for her (GSX600R) and if I lower mine, I should be able to convince her to lower hers. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
ninjagirl

try shaving your seat first. its a easy way to gain 1-2" without having to modify the suspension. lowering your bike will screw up the geometry, youll tend to scrape sooner, AND youll have to cut your side stand as it will be too long to keep the bike at a safe lean.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
NinjaGurl said:
Does anyone know where I can find a thread on lowering the bike?
Ask a knowledgeable friend (or trustworthy mechanic) to unwind the preload on the rear shock to try it out. It's non-permanent and should help you know if you want dad or FOG to fabricate you longer dogbones.

I strongly suggest you to take the lower cowling off the bike when you're trying it out or it will scrape and possibly throw you off the bike when it's going to hit a bump..

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
lowering gsxr and ex

NinjaGurl said:
Does anyone know where I can find a thread on lowering the bike? I think I'd be a tiny bit more comfortable if I was an inch or two lower. Plus, my sister's bike is too tall for her (GSX600R) and if I lower mine, I should be able to convince her to lower hers. Thanks in advance! :)
As mentioned, I would consider shaving the seat as an option on the EX, unless you only ride in straight line! The Suzi could probably be OK with lowering links (easy).
I know a couple lady's with gsxrs and yama r6 that ride lower and have no problem.

I thought I would also mention that, besides shaving the seat, good boots, such as lace up logging boots, that have a higher heel but still provide protection and support are another option. They are unlined so they are cooler. Carolina makes them, among others. Unless you get an actual sport motorcycle boot (not engineer or harness boots) I wouldn't get a slip on, since they slip off too easily.

·
Registered
308 Posts
exer,

most sport riding boots ive seen are actually SHORTER than a normal work/hiking boot. i know my sidi's sure are!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
ex_dsmr said:
exer,

most sport riding boots I've seen are actually SHORTER than a normal work/hiking boot. i know my sidi's sure are!
Correct, that is why I suggested logging boots. They have a higher heel, plus they offer better protection than some other boots that aren't designed specifically for riding. That is the ONLY reason I don't have a pair of boots like yours ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
captb said:
if you lower bike do you have to trim side stands? what would be the lean angle?
do you HAVE to? no.

should you? yes.

when you lower it, your side stand will be so long that it keeps the bike at a more upright angle. making it more vulnerable to falling over on the other side. this is yet another reason why i wont lower the suspension on mine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: finally got it

great news guys, as of today i am proud owner of an 06 ninja 500. my dad road it home cuz i didnt know the way back but when we got home he said he loves the handling and the power. he said that he was willing to trade me it for his 1200 hd sportster, and i told him NO WAY!! ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts