1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The bike is not fuel injected, nor is there any really need to adjust the ignition timing. No power commander needed.

Why a short shifter? Really? Is an inch really that far to move your foot?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kahooli said:
The bike is not fuel injected, nor is there any really need to adjust the ignition timing. No power commander needed.

Why a short shifter? Really? Is an inch really that far to move your foot?
I plead guilty to my charges of laziness (note: sarcasm). A question was asked in hopes to receive a simple answer. By all means an inch is not too far to move my foot, and from what I know, even if a short shifter was installed, my foot would still have to move an inch (just not my hand on up-shifts).

Maybe I need to re-word the original question: Is their a clutch less shift module (like the Power Commander) that allows for shorter/quicker shifts for the EX500?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
an ignition cut switch is all a quick shifter is... a timed signal interrupter if you will.

i don't see why a power commander quick shifter for a twin wouldn't work. it would need some wiring work, but all bikes are fundamentally alike. a crank position trigger and coils with a trigger (sensor) to activate the cut.

S

·
0 Posts
I think im missing something here...

First you can totally not move the throttle and swap gears by using the clutch quickly.

Second you can just clutchless upshift. Its easy as pie and free. Chop throttle lightly (like even a tiny bit) push up on shifter roll throttle back on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smith.p.sean said:
I think im missing something here...

First you can totally not move the throttle and swap gears by using the clutch quickly.

Second you can just clutchless upshift. Its easy as pie and free. Chop throttle lightly (like even a tiny bit) push up on shifter roll throttle back on.
I do realize this information, but I am unaware/unsure of the long term affects this could have on the bike's mechanics. As far as I understood, the logic behind the Quickshifter is that is automatic and quicker than many riders can perform.

Sorry for possibly my lack of understanding all this, it's one reason why I wanted to ask this question.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
they use the lull found in every transmission cog/dog engagement to facilitate movement along the shaft. by momentarily cutting ignition, output from the motor is lessened on the transmission for a very VERY brief moment. during this moment it is possible to move one gear into the next just like you would a clutchless upshift (by rolling off the throttle to where you are not being accelerated any more, on the verge of deceleration... the motor gets quiet at that point). the duration of the cut in ignition is enough to unload the transmission and facilitate the gear change and then back on the power. the varies from bike to bike, transmission to transmission, gear set to gear set... so getting it dialed in can be... tedious.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
what you are asking about is unneeded for the 500, it's an old school design, so the only thing you can do is work on your shifting skills/quickness. your question is a valid one if the bike was of a newer design like from this century. enjoy working on those shifts :)

and to also add, you should change out those clutch springs (see wiki)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
unless you are racing and looking for every thousands of a second, the time you shave by installing a quickshifter to cut your throttle vs. just chopping your throttle and rolling back on instantly is not going to be much. So like I said, if you are looking for that last fraction of a second off your lap times and you have tried everything else, this will save you time. Mostly though on the street it is a total waste. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I emailed Power Commander and asked them about a module for the EX-500, and they do make it. I've discovered my answer to the question. To those who had input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
smith.p.sean said:
I tried doing this the other day and it felt...weird. It won't harm the bike at all or reduce the life of the clutch?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
clutch is always engaged when clutchless shifting. plates remain unused in this process. the only times they are used are when you feather it, either applying drive, or removing it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
clutchless shifts can do damage to the bike.

If you really get it wrong you could grind up transmission quick,or continually doing clutchless shifts will greatly increase the wear and tear.
It wont reduce the life of the clutch at all, but might grenade your transmission. It basically takes the forces the clutch would normally absorb and applies it to the teeth of the gears.

The best shift is the feathered clutch, it's close to the clutchless, except rather than rolling back the throttle, you give the clutch a tiny squeeze, just enough to slip the shifter into the next gear.It's also a really smooth shift, once you get it down plus less straiin on the internal parts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My brain must have taken a few minutes of vacation because I don't know why I wrote clutch...I meant transmission, as obviously the clutch is there to facilitate changing gears and if anything got damaged it would be the tranny.

Anyway, I did it successfully 3 or 4 times the other day but I guess I won't be doing that anymore. If I was dragging the bike that would be one thing but I bought it to ride, not to squeeze every last 10th out of so I think I'm going to take care of it and operate it like it was meant to be operated.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
but even feathering the clutch has very slow wear on the clutch plates, right? B/c it's a wet clutch you don't burn it like on a car. Correct?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
^ yeah, you can ride the clutch on a wet clutch, and not be 'doing it wrong' actually in MSF they teach you how to ride the clutch when maneuvering through the tight cones.You use the clutch to accelerate and slow down rather than throttle and brakes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I emailed Power Commander and asked them about a module for the EX-500, and they do make it. I've discovered my answer to the question. To those who had input, I appreciate it.
@jacob90, what was the outcome of this conversation? Did you get the quick-shifter?

I'm a track day/racer of my EX and want faster, more seamless shifts without the loss of power and don't want to ef around with the clutchless option because of human-timing versus electronic, the possibility for missed shifts, the eventual damage near/post-redline shifts would cause on the bike, and I'm sure other reasons the truck-drivers on this thread didn't consider. The bike is already underpowered and anything I can do to stay on the power is preferred.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts