Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Ride a Harley - any year, and model - for a few days and you will never see the need for a quick shifter on the 500.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Missed that. My bad. Have you reversed the pattern?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased a 2000's model ZX6 shifter but discovered the mounting hole was too large and the shifter length was too long where i had to remove my foot from the peg to shift.

Is there a specific year/model shifter that you've found that will not require a spacer bushing to mount it and that is shorter in length so the balls of your feet are on the peg while the shifter is just at the toe of your boot?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Missed that. My bad. Have you reversed the pattern?
I purchased a 2000's model ZX6 shifter but discovered the mounting hole was too large and the shifter length was too long where i had to remove my foot from the peg to shift.

Is there a specific year/model shifter that you've found that will not require a spacer bushing to mount it and that is shorter in length so the balls of your feet are on the peg while the shifter is just at the toe of your boot?

·
Registered
959 Posts
can you not just reverse the splined bit from pointing up to pointing down that would reverse the shift pattern. it may need the rod extending a bit to put the lever at the toe. I'm almost sure this is how I changed the pattern on mine at the remote linkage for the cruiser.

·
Registered
40 Posts
can you not just reverse the splined bit from pointing up to pointing down that would reverse the shift pattern. it may need the rod extending a bit to put the lever at the toe. I'm almost sure this is how I changed the pattern on mine at the remote linkage for the cruiser.
Nope. Go look at your bike and you'll see why. It is offset where the shift rod bolts to the shifter so flipping it causes the shift rod and shifter to hit the trans cover and it no workie. You need a different lever where the shift rod connects below the shifter rather than on-top like the stocker.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Then it is trial and error, or move the shift lever tab to the bottom of the lever? Or, would that hit, too?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nope. Go look at your bike and you'll see why. It is offset where the shift rod bolts to the shifter so flipping it causes the shift rod and shifter to hit the trans cover and it no workie. You need a different lever where the shift rod connects below the shifter rather than on-top like the stocker.
ok just a thought. there must be a way that is not so difficult. a guy on here a few weeks back had the gears the other way round on a road bike and thought it was stock.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts