Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several people asking me for pictures or instructions on what I did. A picture is worth a thousand words so here are several depicting how I attached the tail. Copy it if you like, I will probably get bored with it and try another tail in the future. Everything on the ex500 is steel so anything is possible.

I hacked off the old tail right at the main frame. Then welded in 4 seperate plates to strengthen and cover up the holes. Also notice the small platform off the shock mount. This is what I welded the battery box to.

I never really took any good pictures of the brackets I made. Took a little trial and error since I had nothing to go by. That was the whole fun of this project. Anyone can do a fender eliminator mod or other various things. I prefer to do stuff that involve a little more thinking. Anyways The bottom holes on the R6 tail are the same distance apart as the ex500 frame.

Another picture of the bracket.

Under the seat and how I attached the tank to the tail.

Bare tail. You can see the 2 tabs I welded on the back rail of the tail. This is what the plastic mounts to since I did not use a battery/storage tray. The battery box is just welded to the small lip off the shock mount.

How brackets attach to top tail mounts. Bracket I made for attaching tank to the tail. Yeah the hole is off a little. Give me a brake I did all of this by eyeing it up with it hanging from the rafters.

The whole thing costed me like 250-300 dollars, depending on how good of a deal you can find on ebay at the time. I like the seating position a lot more than before. You are a little higher, even more with the dog bones I added. Didnt really notice any difference in driving it besides there not being a big squishy seat under my ass.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And just for the fun of it here is a before "when i bought the bike" and after.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice work!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starting from scratch it was around 20 hours of labor. So 1000-1500 in labor plus the 300 for parts. Now I could do it in about half the time. There is no change to the handling. The dog bones are about all that would change this. I think it is a little more comfortable for me, and my passengers agree to.

·
Registered
404 Posts
spike, where are you located? I'd pay that...I've been wanting to upgrade based on style this would
be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Wow, you got talent and I am impressed :eek:

Great work ;D

·
Registered
722 Posts
how did you go about making the mounting brackets? That and fabbing a battery box would probably be the only things I'd have difficulty with.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Truly sharp! 8)

With modern gel batteries that are smaller & can be turned upside down sideways, whatever, there are more options w/ custom work like this.

How do you light the license plate that's mounted above the wheel?

And your shirt color matches the bike's!
Wait, do you get points for that... or lose points? ::)

·
Registered
24 Posts
that looks awesome. I had a honda cbr 600 f2 and I did an r6 tail conversion to it as well

:)

DIesel

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jlmay said:
how did you go about making the mounting brackets? That and fabbing a battery box would probably be the only things I'd have difficulty with.
To make the mounting brackets I used card board. Came up with and idea, made it out of light gauge and tried it until i found something i liked. The battery box was easy. Measure the battery and build box to fit.

hollywood said:
spike, where are you located? I'd pay that...I've been wanting to upgrade based on style this would
be the best of both worlds.
I live in Manitowoc Wisconsin. I dont think I could do another R6, I need to come up with something new.

MrSciTrek said:
Actually that is only temporary. I am going to mount it to the battery box to give the undertail a clean look. The license plate does not need to be lit up. If a cop is behind you and wants to see the plate his headlights do a sufficient job.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
spikezx5r said:
Actually that is only temporary. I am going to mount it to the battery box to give the undertail a clean look. The license plate does not need to be lit up. If a cop is behind you and wants to see the plate his headlights do a sufficient job.
here in ohio, its state law that your license plate must be illuminated during the hours of darkness. doesnt matter if the cop can read it, if it doesnt have a light on it, he CAN pull you over.

not to say they will. i guess a real jerk may, but usually youd probably be left alone.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
spikezx5r wrote: Actually that is only temporary. I am going to mount it to the battery box to give the undertail a clean look. The license plate does not need to be lit up. If a cop is behind you and wants to see the plate his headlights do a sufficient job.

Um, you have been given some bad info.
Read this WI law PDF file & scroll down to 347.13 (3)
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0347.pdf

To paraphrase: Any vehicle that is required to have a plate is also required to have a white light of that plate such that it's visible from 50 feet... when operated at night.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know it is the law, it is in every state. The difference is I know city cops, county cops and a few state patrol. All of which said they have worse problems to worry about then a lighted up license plate. Yes I actually asked because a quarter of the bikes in my city run their plates tight inside right above the swing arm pivot. I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it, or fined yet. My loud D&D on the other hand is not a favorite of them. Lets just say I have had a few warnings ;D

If you are worried, then just run the existing ex500 light in front of the plate with the same plastic shield. A simple fix.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts