Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Saturday I installed a set of RaceTech .85kg (I weigh 175lbs) springs with AMSOIL #10 Shock Therapy...WOW WOW WOW!!!! I finally had a chance yesterday to really hit a few back road twisties and the bike just feels amazing! It feels so much more planted and stable! In fact it is even more confidence inspiring riding in a straight line! Of course having the sag set in the rearend also helped.

I was able to get the springs from kneedraggers.com for a measly $86 and the AMSOIL was $10 for the quart here locally.

Next step is to install the set of FOG dogbones I have sitting on the workbench (thanks FOG)! :)

Btw- I highly suggest this suspension upgrade first over any sort of aesthetic mods! You definitely wont regret it! ;D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good to hear. I'm thinking about doing something for my front, it just dives too easy. I need to figure what weight I should work around, I've been weight training for about a month now and put on 10lbs, I'm only going to get heavier. Poor little EX...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The calculator on the RaceTech website seems to be spot on in terms of determining which spring is right for your weight. I can't imagine the bike riding/handling any better. I'd also go with 10wt oil over RaceTechs recommended 15wt. It seems to me that 15wt would increase dampening too much and lead to harsh rebound. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
You typically need more damping with a higher spring rate, but if it works for you, that's the important part.

I've got a set of 0.90kg/mm Sonic Springs on the way. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually 10wt fork oil is an increase over stock on this bike. From everything that I've read on this forum 10wt is the way to go when installing new springs otherwise the ride will be too harsh. :)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
AMAZING what some proper springs will do, eh? 8) :)

I have recommended the 10wt for suspension modifications that don't include a rear shock change and especially without cartridge emulators. It is based on generally accepted suspension principles as well as my own experience with a re-sprung front with cartridge emulators and a re-sprung rear with the rear raised 1 1/2".

I tried the 15wt and found it reacted out of sync with the stock rear shock (slower). If I could have increased the dampening in the rear shock I would have done that but as that wasn't an option, I went back to 10wt in the front. Matching the action at each end, even if less than optimum, is better than having one right and one wrong, responding at two different rates. Increased dampening at BOTH ends would be better. Increased dampening at only one end, not better. :)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
dad said:
AMAZING what some proper springs will do, eh? 8) :)

I have recommended the 10wt for suspension modifications that don't include a rear shock change and especially without cartridge emulators. It is based on generally accepted suspension principles as well as my own experience with a re-sprung front with cartridge emulators and a re-sprung rear with the rear raised 1 1/2".

I tried the 15wt and found it reacted out of sync with the stock rear shock (slower). If I could have increased the dampening in the rear shock I would have done that but as that wasn't an option, I went back to 10wt in the front. Matching the action at each end, even if less than optimum, is better than having one right and one wrong, responding at two different rates. Increased dampening at BOTH ends would be better. Increased dampening at only one end, not better. :)
So can you tell me (us) more about these emulators, I have been wanting to work on my front end and didnt know if I should just go with the new sprins and oil or also add the emulators ( which I dont know what they really are or do) to the job also while its all apart?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dad, thank you for all of the suspension experience that you've shared. I spent a lot of time researching old posts and reading your very thorough explanations. That is what led me to my new fork setup! I may install cartridge emulators down the road or I may not. I'm so happy with it now I'm just not sure. :D

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
yeah , thanks for the redirect there dad ! that is alot of reading ,but answerd my questions fairly well ,I expect that kept you busy for awile ;D Sure wish Kawi. would do a little up-grading at the fact. I know it a sort of cheap bike to buy ,but still alot for as little as you get in some areas (suspension) that seem as though would be a easy fix if they wanted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So true ommyt69! It only cost me $96 in parts to drastically improve the suspension. It would cost Kawi much less than that to take care of it at the factory. Though I suppose they figure why change anything when there are plenty of people like ourselves who will buy the EX anyway! :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great. I've decided to go with 10 weight as well.

Funny how it's all relative though. I've been riding the EX500 quite a bit lately. I rode the Concours to work yesterday and having ridden the EX so much has made me realize how bad the Concours is, LOL.

I've got Sonic springs AND a ZZR1200 shock on the way for it...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I need to call RaceTech, as their online form doesn't like 1st gen (just says "call"). Only thing I can find are progressive springs for the 1st gen. Are they really different (1st vs. 2nd) in this?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
ydant said:
I need to call RaceTech, as their online form doesn't like 1st gen (just says "call"). Only thing I can find are progressive springs for the 1st gen. Are they really different (1st vs. 2nd) in this?
There not enough,
Cut your stock springs.

How much do you weigh?

FOG

·
Registered
244 Posts
FOG said:
ydant said:
There not enough,
Cut your stock springs.

How much do you weigh?
~185lbs

One has started leaking, so it seemed like a good time to do so.

This is for street use only - I doubt (this) EX will ever see track time.

--

In case anyone else is looking for more info on this:

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,1251.0.html

·
Registered
244 Posts
FOG, are you saying the RaceTechs for 1st gen aren't sufficient, the Progressive springs for 1st gen aren't sufficient, or that the springs RaceTech offers in general aren't sufficient?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I was referring to the Progressives.

FOG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts