Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well decided to make my own rack for the bike. Almost done and im pretty happy with it!! It will hold more then 50 lbs im sure of it!!!:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Also, those mount points were engineered to accept only so much weight. Kawi offered a factory accessory rack which bolted in place of the grab handle, but it was limited to something like 15 pounds. Is an underbrace which connects to muffler mounts possible? That would probably allow the carrying of the weight you envision. It could bolt-on and run from the kick up at the back of the rack, along the underside of the bodywork, and bolt to the peg/muffler mounts. I would be confident with that.

Now, as to dynamics, bear in mind that 50 pound cantilevered so far back will have an effect on the handling, possibly having more effect than 100 pounds of passenger, as far as directional changes, etc. go. This would be easily tested, but just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mines not a carrying rack, but it holds a good bit of weight for how simple it is.

It just drills into the stock fin on the rear and the bike is supported at the seat with the bars.

The bike acts as a rack in its self, I've done 8,xxx miles with it so far and feels pretty good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will never really carry weight like that on it. I was just curious..... Also I am adding supports that connect from underneath. Ill be posting pics in the next couple of days. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here is the finished rack. Im very happy with how it turned out. It will carry alot more weight then I showed, but Ill never carry that kind of weight. I always seem to make things "heavy duty" hahaaha..

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks real nice.
Could it fit a trunk on there?
Would you be interested in making another one to sell?
Edit: Im interested cause mine is a commuter and I need to carry stuffs
PS I love my farkles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts