Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know ,another stupid tire question , I did try to search on here but just haven't come up with a answer yet , I was wondering are they both about the same in performance or are the radial's alot better or what? Is the ride better on one vs. the other also?

·
Registered
63 Posts
This most certainly is not a stupid question. FOG did a nice write up somewheres about the differences in construction of the 2. A radial tire is a much better tire. I holds the road better, tracks better, and is just an all around better tire. Not to say that the Bias Ply is a horrible tire, as it isn't. Both tires are capable of extreme lean angles, but the radial tire more so. You should never mix a radial tire with a bias ply tire, as the bike hill handle like a drunken camel with a hinge in the middle. Also, you should never mix different tire brands regardless of whether or not both tires are radial or bias ply.

S

·
0 Posts
Radials....come in stickier rubber for dry and wet conditions, and capable of greater lean angles. What more do you need to know??

Bias ply is a thing of the past, like the ex500 ;)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spikezx5r said:
Radials....come in stickier rubber for dry and wet conditions, and capable of greater lean angles. What more do you need to know??

Thanks , yes that the sort of input I was looking for , how is the wear better , worse , same ? my stock tires are ok ,but I sort of want to order a set just to have incase I need it , also if anyone knows a site that has good prices let me know . Thanks!!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Off topic a little but...

One problem I'm having is: online tire prices are pretty good, but no local shop here wants to mount and spin balance tires brought in from "outside" that local shop.
I know I could mount them myself, I just don't want to take the time to do it and I want my tires dynamically balanced, not just static balanced. Just dropped about $400 on a front and rear.... oh well, we play, we pay.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I'm curious as to what you define as the difference between spin balancing and Static balancing? Specifically please, no BS

FOG

S

·
0 Posts
ommyt69 said:
spikezx5r said:

Thanks , yes that the sort of input I was looking for , how is the wear better , worse , same ? my stock tires are ok ,but I sort of want to order a set just to have incase I need it , also if anyone knows a site that has good prices let me know . Thanks!!!
Wear is all based on the rubber compound used not the type of tire....A touring tire will last longer than a sport tire. IMO there is no reason to go with a radial on the ex500 unless you are looking for a little wider tire. Pirelli Sport Demons work great as well as Pilot Actives, wont last quite as long as stock, but will give better grip and still have decent tread life.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FOG said:
I'm curious as to what you define as the difference between spin balancing and Static balancing? Specifically please, no BS

FOG
Dynamic: marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change
Static: standing or fixed in one place

--Merriam-Webster

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Doesn't spin balance refer to a device that rotates the tire/wheel at high speed to determine where balancing weights might best be placed?

Static balance would be the traditional, non-spinning, "close enough" (not) bubble balancing.
Yes?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Doesn't spin balance refer to a device that rotates the tire/wheel at high speed to determine where balancing weights might best be placed?

Static balance would be the traditional, non-spinning, "close enough" (not) bubble balancing.
Yes?
yes.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I guess I didn't make myself clear, I know the difference in procedure. What I wanted to know is what he perceived benefits of dynamic to Static to be.

FOG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts