Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Sounds like a dystopian society,
yeah, well it's a long story but started about 10 years ago with 2 vehicle statute changes (pre-Brexit) to stop unauthorised use of inferior parts being used on the newer more sophisticated vehicles which rendered them unsuitable for the new type systems (like can bus electricals) that used hundreds of sensors to make it work. anything outside of the parameters of the systems used to just shut down the whole vehicle and caused many fatalities when vehicles just shut down on their own on busy roads.
of course, once the ball starts rolling downhill it never stops rolling so now any parts not listed for a particular vehicle that are not OEM stock (or an exact copy) cannot be used.
the whole parts supply chain is now geared towards this aim. not really a problem with newer vehicles in fact quite sensible just a PITA if you have a 30yo bike to keep going.

Peace and Bless the Queen.
thanks for the sentiment a sad event for us all. but as we say here "the Queen is dead long live the King" but at his age we may be doing this all over again before too long.

·
Registered
59 Posts
yeah, well it's a long story but started about 10 years ago with 2 vehicle statute changes (pre-Brexit) to stop unauthorised use of inferior parts being used on the newer more sophisticated vehicles which rendered them unsuitable for the new type systems (like can bus electricals) that used hundreds of sensors to make it work.
Add to this the economic reality that brick and mortar shops can't really compete with the web especially on low margin parts. Also, as someone who used to work in retail (not auto stuff but hey), you see this across loads of sectors - there's a massive gulf between what people say they want and what they go and do.

i.e. They say they want a high street (tr."Main Steet"?) full of practical independent shops where they can walk in and buy what they need. In aggregate, they tend to buy online even if the price is the same the convenience of home delivery and time savings tend to push them online. That mass behaviour then means you're only left with a pretty homogenous retail landscape. You would have thought that this trend would make customer service better in the brick-and-mortar world, but it sucks, so i've gone fully online.

[/end rant]

·
Registered
180 Posts
That’s my point. The market has dictated…

Add to this the economic reality that brick and mortar shops can't really compete with the web especially on low margin parts. Also, as someone who used to work in retail (not auto stuff but hey), you see this across loads of sectors - there's a massive gulf between what people say they want and what they go and do.

i.e. They say they want a high street (tr."Main Steet"?) full of practical independent shops where they can walk in and buy what they need. In aggregate, they tend to buy online even if the price is the same the convenience of home delivery and time savings tend to push them online. That mass behaviour then means you're only left with a pretty homogenous retail landscape. You would have thought that this trend would make customer service better in the brick-and-mortar world, but it sucks, so i've gone fully online.

[/end rant]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds like a dystopian society, there are still junk yards here where they don't immediately part out the cars/trucks. I know they drain various fluids etc. The real problem comes if they ever want to sell the land, then it becomes a problem because as you know if you drip a teaspoon of olive oil on the ground the envirnmental protection agency is gona hassle you. I have not been into an motorcycle dealer in over a year maybe, I spoke to a co-worker who is shopping for a naked bike that said they only had small motorcycles and nothing really much else.

I guess its all in the grand scheme of things to make the cars/trucks/bikes obsolete and make us embrace some idiotic electric vehicle.We need to stand up and fight this lunacy. Peace and Bless the Queen.
Maybe motorcycle technology has peaked. It has been an impressive evolution. 65 hp on a 420 lbs bike may be as much as most of us need. I'd like a 636 but maybe I should just take anti suicide meds instead.
A VMax? As a species we just don't know when to back off.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts