Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the radiator cap on this thing is at?! Does it even have one? Can鈥檛 find it!馃槱

Registered
nope hasn't got one the rad cap is on the top of the thermostat housing. it's the highest point in the system.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope hasn't got one the rad cap is on the top of the thermostat housing. it's the highest point in the system.
Ok thanks, I鈥檓 just preparing to change this water pump cover and stuff and I was told that I need to drain the coolant/radiator to do this and to fill it after I鈥檓 done. Do I need to access this cap for that?

Super Moderator
You will have to remove the main fairing to access it.
Seat, Tank, Fairing removal

Note: The website is currently experiencing issues loading pictures. If you click on the link and don't see any pics, hit the refresh button.

Super Moderator
Once you remove the main fairing, the thermostat housing with the radiator cap is on the left side of the bike at the front.

You can see it on the left side of this pic.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do see it . Thank you.
Once you remove the main fairing, the thermostat housing with the radiator cap is on the left side of the bike at the front.

You can see it on the left side of this pic.
So is this where I would fill the radiator back up after draining it for the water pump procedure?

Super Moderator
Correct.
Even when your draining the coolant, you will want to remove the radiator cap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct.
Even when your draining the coolant, you will want to remove the radiator cap.
This is so it I鈥檒l flow rather than trickle right. So when I fill it I use coolant in the radiator鈥 if this is the case when do I fill the reservoir?

Super Moderator
This is so it I鈥檒l flow rather than trickle right.
Correct.
When filling the system, fill at the thermostat housing and also the reservoir. After your back up and running, recheck the reservoir level after each ride a few times (after the engine has completely cooled) and top off as needed. Reservoir level will drop for the first few rides.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct.
When filling the system, fill at the thermostat housing and also the reservoir. After your back up and running, recheck the reservoir level after each ride a few times (after the engine has completely cooled) and top off as needed. Reservoir level will drop for the first few rides.
Ok, last thing. Just want to make sure I do this right. This my first bike and I don鈥檛 want to mess her up any further. I read from another thread that 鈥渂leeding the system鈥 was part of the process as well. I suppose this is done by revving the engine a little?

Super Moderator
To be honest, I've never heard the term "bleeding the system" pertaining to the cooling system. No need to do it with the engine running. I like the squeeze the coolant tubes while doing it just to help get some of the air out. But even this isn't a must do part of filling the system.

Super Moderator
In a nut shell. All you have to do is get close when filling the system. Then as long as you keep your eye on the reservoir tank for a while, you should be fine. The reservoir tank will continue to replenish the system, and remove the air from the system for a few heating and cooling cycles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest, I've never heard the term "bleeding the system" pertaining to the cooling system. No need to do it with the engine running. I like the squeeze the coolant tubes while doing it just to help get some of the air out. But even this isn't a must do part of filling the system.
Yeah I was kinda thrown off by that phrase as well. But he said it was to get the air bubbles out.
In a nut shell. All you have to do is get close when filling the system. Then as long as you keep your eye on the reservoir tank for a while, you should be fine. The reservoir tank will continue to replenish the system, and remove the air from the system for a few heating and cooling cycles.
Gotcha, that鈥檚 good because I was about to ask you what coolant tubes you were referencing.馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I was kinda thrown off by that phrase as well. But he said it was to get the air bubbles out.

Gotcha, that鈥檚 good because I was about to ask you what coolant tubes you were referencing.馃槂
I assumed it was the one running from the thermostat where the cap is located.

Registered
To be honest, I've never heard the term "bleeding the system" pertaining to the cooling system. No need to do it with the engine running.
pardon my interjection but "bleeding the system" is a term used to remove air from the system. usually from the highest point in the system but the EX's highest point IS the filler cap. so not required as long as you make sure all the tubes are full as @bpe stated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pardon my interjection but "bleeding the system" is a term used to remove air from the system. usually from the highest point in the system but the EX's highest point IS the filler cap. so not required as long as you make sure all the tubes are full as @bpe stated.
Makes all the sense in the world to me. Thanks to the both of you. 馃槄

1 - 20 of 37 Posts