Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
So… either of you removed that bent brake pedal before?
I've done it several times.
Literally just bend it back w a C clamp on a table and some good strength.
You'll get 3 or 4 good thrashings out of it before the metal snaps when trying to bend it back into place.
Ask me how I know.

As for the term "bleeding" the coolant system, I think it's better called "Burping".
I dont think there is a need to do so, I believe the Coolant res does this, as previously stated, but I am not 100% sure if it actually has a "recovery" path, more just a way to push out air build up when temps rise.
I very much could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
've done it several times.
Literally just bend it back w a C clamp on a table and some good strength.
You'll get 3 or 4 good thrashings out of it before the metal snaps when trying to bend it back into place.
Ask me how I know.
yeah that works or a vice. if your careful an adjustable wrench or 2 also works without removing it from the bike I even been known to prise it back with stick found at the side of the road so I could get home even on the day it put a hole in the clutch case I still got home as always carry duct tape. :).

As or the term "bleeding" the coolant system, I think it's better called "Burping".
I dont think there is a need to do so, I believe the Coolant res does this, as previously stated, but I am not 100% sure if it actually has a "recovery" path, more just a way to push out air build up when temps rise.
I very much could be wrong.
no basically correct, you fill the system to max via the cap also half fill the expansion bottle. I sometimes start the engine a few seconds if I just filled the system to give the water pump time to circulate the coolant. then top up if required, replace the cap.
as the coolant expands as the engine warms it forces any air left plus some coolant into the expansion bottle. as the engine cools, coolant is drawn from the expansion bottle by capillary action through a little valve on the top of the thermostat and keeps the rad and system full. of course for the first few heat cycles you may draw more coolant from the expansion bottle than was there to start with so just top up the bottle until it stops going down.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
as the coolant expands as the engine warms it forces any air left plus some coolant into the expansion bottle. as the engine cools, coolant is drawn from the expansion bottle by capillary action through a little valve on the top of the thermostat and keeps the rad and system full.
Oh, Interesting....
I had to research Capillary action to understand this, and I am glad I did, I've been looking at aftermarket Coolant Res tanks to replace this plastic one, I guess I have to pay attention to make sure that this action can still be done in the orientation that I want of the container.
I didnt realize the importance of the design, I always thought it was weird with that strange internal passage in the res bottle.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
Don't dismiss the cap as mearly the lid the coolant system .next to the radiator itself it's the second most important part.
It has two valves , 1 set at 13 PSI to hold pressure in the engine. when expansion over pressurize it the coolant flows to the expansion tank (not a reserve tank) then as the engine cools the coolant shrinks and is drawn back through a second valve set at approx 2 PSI.
This maintain a full engine without any air.
its important to not open the cap for no reason as this will disturb the system and require several heat cycles to get bak in balance

FOG

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
It has two valves , 1 set at 13 PSI to hold pressure in the engine. when expansion over pressurize it the coolant flows to the expansion tank (not a reserve tank) then as the engine cools the coolant shrinks and is drawn back through a second valve set at approx 2 PSI.
NOT a Reserve Tank , Expansion Tank, got it.
This Recovery process is so mystical to me ;
Not quite understanding this 2nd Valve, need to find a diagram on how the 2nd valve makes the Capilary action take place. Guessing it's just pressure, but such a new theory to me my brain has exploded. Need to understand it before swapping that Expansion tank..

But , Don't mean to thread Jack,

@Bikernow
Hows that crooked brake pedal coming along

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts

• Love
Reactions: WestChannel27

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
NOT a Reserve Tank , Expansion Tank, got it.
This Recovery process is so mystical to me ;
Not quite understanding this 2nd Valve, need to find a diagram on how the 2nd valve makes the Capilary action take place. Guessing it's just pressure, but such a new theory to me my brain has exploded. Need to understand it before swapping that Expansion tank..

But , Don't mean to thread Jack,

@Bikernow
Hows that crooked brake pedal coming along
Still crooked!😂

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
It’s just expansion and contraction due to heat. No capliary action . Don’t over think this.

Fog

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It’s just expansion and contraction due to heat. No capliary action . Don’t over think this.

Fog
U guys are talking some heavy stuff. I just want to know if it’s cool for me to remove that cap when draining and filling the bike back up. I don’t know about the bleeding or if it’s even necessary. I just don’t want to mess my bike up any further.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
U guys are talking some heavy stuff. I just want to know if it’s cool for me to remove that cap when draining and filling the bike back up. I don’t know about the bleeding or if it’s even necessary. I just don’t want to mess my bike up any further.
And what is this expansion tank?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Fill it at the thermostat housing until full where rad cap is.

Fill Expansion tank (it's on the other side, right side while on the bike, plastic bottle , fill according to lines.)

"Burping" process - Let bike get hot several times, ideally where the fan kicks on, either during idle or running it somewhere and fill the expansion bottle as needed until you stay above the "min" line and the level doesnt change.

Also , FOGs note on not removing rad cap during or after air purge process unless needed or you will need to redo the heat cycle/burp/air purge process over again

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Fill it at the thermostat housing until full where rad cap is.

Fill Expansion tank (it's on the other side, right side while on the bike, plastic bottle , fill according to lines.)

"Burping" process - Let bike get hot several times, ideally where the fan kicks on, either during idle or running it somewhere and fill the expansion bottle as needed until you stay above the "min" line and the level doesnt change.

Also , FOGs note on not removing rad cap during or after air purge process unless needed or you will need to redo the heat cycle/burp/air purge process over again
Ok, all coming together now. And I’m pretty sure I got it. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is so it I’ll flow rather than trickle right. So when I fill it I use coolant in the radiator… if this is the case when do I fill the reservoir?
Please folks respect the basics of grammar. You are became you're -a contraction. It was never meant to evolve into an adjective- your.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts