Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, almost got this 99 up and running...

Radiator fan isn't kicking over learned this when doing the coolant.

Currently just running distilled while I figure out what's going on. So far checked the fuse, and verified with 12v applied the fan does run. I shorted the connector at the radiator switch ( I assume the sender, it's in the top left of the radiator (seated on bike) ). If I short that, fan runs fine.

So I'm going to order one of those as I imagine that's the main culprit here, but is there anything else I should take a look at or is it about 90% chance of it being the 27010-1304 switch alone?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
what temp does it go to on the gauge before you decided the fan didn't kick in neither of my bikes will run the fan until the gauge is well past the 3/4 mark. and that is stationary. on the move I have never had the fan running while there is air flow over the engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike was still during a distill flush, was almost red line on the temp gauge, definitely should have been kicking on I think. My other ex500 kicks over on about 1/2-3/4 as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what temp does it go to on the gauge before you decided the fan didn't kick in neither of my bikes will run the fan until the gauge is well past the 3/4 mark. and that is stationary. on the move I have never had the fan running while there is air flow over the engine.
Welp, took it out for an actual spin after flushing/filling and the fan kicked on this time. So no idea...It was red lining the first time, have a hunch it was before I noticed how low the fluid was, it may not have been able to trip the thermostat when I initially got the bike running.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
I never respond to these type of Help messages, It always amazes me that folks will immediately go to the internet, before doing simple check procedures. ( Have you got your TV plugged in). after three or four post you read "Oh I forgot check????"
Fog

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, fair, fair! I'm just glad it ain't broken. Maybe some other poor forgetful fella will stumble across this and go "Hm, I wonder if it's because my radiator is bone dry?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts