Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, curious if anyone has been able to successfully mount a RAM mount to the EX500. I have a 2009, and i tried using the Brake/clutch reservoir mount but the screws that it comes with are either too long or too thick for the clutch mount. It's currently secure, but the clutch moves around on the handlebars a bit; but it can't be tightened any further.

Anyone experience this issue/have a solution? Maybe this is simple; I'm more of a 10 thumbs types of person...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think the screws that hold the clutch lever are 6mm should be easy enough to obtain some the right length.
mines a gen 1 so this trick may not work but I got a mount with a 8mm stud on the btm. then drilled and tapped the top fork stem capping nut. puts the mount in the middle of the bars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the screws that hold the clutch lever are 6mm should be easy enough to obtain some the right length.
mines a gen 1 so this trick may not work but I got a mount with a 8mm stud on the btm. then drilled and tapped the top fork stem capping nut. puts the mount in the middle of the bars.
Thanks. What you did definitely seems way above my skill level. 😅

·
Registered
168 Posts
+1. I did the same. I tapped the fork stem nut so two threads could hold then used JB weld to level the indention. Works great except you can't use a traditional torque wrench on it now (I went by feel anyway).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, curious if anyone has been able to successfully mount a RAM mount to the EX500. I have a 2009, and i tried using the Brake/clutch reservoir mount but the screws that it comes with are either too long or too thick for the clutch mount. It's currently secure, but the clutch moves around on the handlebars a bit; but it can't be tightened any further.

Anyone experience this issue/have a solution? Maybe this is simple; I'm more of a 10 thumbs types of person...
I took the factory screws to Menard's and purchased replacements that were the exact width of the mount longer. The used a thin washer to ensure they would not bottom out in the clutch bracket. Has worked out so far and is surprisingly vibration free. Sorry I don't have the packaging to give you the exact length.

·
Registered
19,705 Posts
I pondered , what a Ram Mount was, now the picture clears that up. Aperantly a phone hook to allow you to talk while riding.
Not only a bad Idea, but silly and probably dangerous. Are you going to ride a MC or something else.??

FOG

Reactions: ducatiman

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I pondered , what a Ram Mount was, now the picture clears that up. Aperantly a phone hook to allow you to talk while riding.
Not only a bad Idea, but silly and probably dangerous. Are you going to ride a MC or something else.??

FOG
showing your age now fog. phones do more than just make calls you know. (mine doesn't but that's by choice) you know with Apps. like Satnav. GPS locator. distance recorder. radio. time. weather and traffic reports. and yeah remote calls. all the things you don't need on a bike but do in a car.

·
Administrator
15,588 Posts
for GPS no doubt, but I'll agree mounted phones offer a 100% distraction to riding....which requires 100% attention. Phones belong tucked away in pocket while riding.

·
Registered
19,705 Posts
I'm as current with Technology as the next guy regardless of my age. (I was writing SPC code In Basic back in the 70s when you were still not even a thought in your dads mind) I don't care if the thing whistles Dixi it don't belong on a MC handle bar. 30 years ago I saw a guy had one mounted on his rear seat, like the TV cameras on the GP bikes.
Still think its silly.
Fog

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm as current with Technology as the next guy regardless of my age. (I was writing SPC code In Basic back in the 70s when you were still not even a thought in your dads mind)
Fog
do us a favour don't make assumptions. back in the 70's I was running an auto shop. with 3 kids. mortgage. and a ex wife. some of us are older than we would like to admit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts