Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
s title says, my bike will randomly stall. it happened yesterday on the freeway, but to that point it hadn't happened inlike 2 weeks. From what i've read, it seems the jets are clogged/dirty (basically i need to stop being lazy and put on a fuel filter). there's no one time in particular that it happens, other than when i seem to be far from home. To get it to start back up, i let it sit for a minute, go full choke (with it warm), and crank. it'll turn a few revolutions, and then fire to life.

i guess my question to you guys is, are there any other issues that could cause this to happen? since i've bought the bike, ive replaced plugs, renewed connections, replaced air filter, replaced vacuum lines, and air hoses. it runs a million times better than when i got it. Im hoping that setting the mixture screws at 2.5 turns will make a good difference too.

oh, just for the record, that carb cleaner CRAP that you put in your gas tank for your car, isnt a good idea on the bike (at least mine). i had roughly half a tank (~2 gal) and added a bottle of the cleaner to the tank. I had to drain all the fuel/cleaner out of the tank, because it wouldn't run after adding that crap. lesson learned.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Sounds like a tank filler cap vent is plugged ,

FOG

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah now i feel like a jackass. i think i even put my 2 cents in the last time a hissing gas cap came up...sounds like a plan. thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jsvob03 said:
oh, just for the record, that carb cleaner CRAP that you put in your gas tank for your car, isnt a good idea on the bike (at least mine). i had roughly half a tank (~2 gal) and added a bottle of the cleaner to the tank. I had to drain all the fuel/cleaner out of the tank, because it wouldn't run after adding that crap. lesson learned.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Isn't one of those bottles supposed to be mixed with about 12-15 gallons of gas?!? That's a tad strong!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i realized that shortly after dumping it in. it treats up to twenty gallons, i had 2!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts