Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had my Ninja now for a few months and I think I've misjudged how far I should be able to go on one tank of gas. If I remember correctly the tank is 4.8 gallons. I was guestimating 45-50mpg (I do a lot of city riding). Is the reserve bigger than 1 gallon? That might explain the fact I keep running dry around 145-150 miles. What sort of range do the rest of you guys get on your bikes?

Thanks.

Claudia

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
not to brag, but i get slightly better than 60 mpg, and i fill up after about 200 miles, sometimes more than 220... i've never had to use the reserve. although my ride to and from work is 'in the city', there's a pretty long stretch with little traffic and no lights, especially at the time i go to/from work. i also ride pretty conservatively (at least where the throttle is concerned)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Throughout the mountains of WV I'm consistently getting 220 miles before hitting reserve (55mpg). None too gentle on the throttle, but not really crazy either. If you're in flatter country you should be able to get quite a bit more.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I do a lot of highway commuting at 120km/h (75mph) just under 7000rpm and I get to 250km (150miles) without touching reserve. I just feel too itchy to go fill her up at that point.. But I know there's gas left in there, just never felt like running out of gas in the middle of nowhere ;)

My daily commute is about 100 miles so I fill her up almost daily.

I also took all the fairings off so my gas consumption went up a bit for highway and I am not the type to lean over the tank, then the police comes chasing you for 'looking' like you were speeding... Puttering around the backroads tend to give me over 300km (200 miles) range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm.... now I feel like I have a reason for concern.

I have run out of gas on the highway (after 150 miles and trying to get off at the next exit for gas) and nearly got creamed bc of it. I wasn't convinced I had run out of gas so I took it to the mechanic and he checked out the tank and said there had been some water in the tank.

It's very hard to hear what your engine sounds like at highway speed, so when it happened again going 20 mph on a small road yesterday (and after the mechanic gave it a clean bill of health) I became convinced that it was a case of "operator error" and I just screwed up.

However, if you all are getting SUCH higher mileage, I wonder what is going on. It's a 2006! These things aren't supposed to happen!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i forgot to add these conditions: i live in florida and drive 22 miles round trip to/from work. the mileage i stated was on my 18 year old EX. i have yet to really get an accurate mileage for my R, because i switched the 15t front sprocket back to the stock 16t. i know my reserve works, but have never actually had to use it in real world scenarios.

when you are 'running out of gas' are you using the reserve after to get to a gas station? i forget just how much fuel the reserve leaves you with.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I think the pilot screw mod, initial setting (2.5 turns from seated), dropped my MPG a fair amount on my '05. Smelled like it was running rich so backed it off a half turn at a time.

From the factory the screws were only about 3/4 turns out from seated.
Right now I'm running them at about 1.5 turns... seems fine.

How long since you worked over the ignition? The air filter?
Is the gearing stock?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Jersey City, NJ.

Here's the deal. I am new to this whole bike thing. I've only been riding a few months and most of that has been local (ie not too much highway). Until very recently I had some help on maintenance but basically, I'm on my own now.

I'm at this critical point where I can either figure out how to maintain this thing on my own (without a garage, only an open but reserved parking spot) or just just toss in the towel, which isn't what I really want to do. I do have a good shop nearby, so that's a plus. I'm going to see if I can find a local class on moto maintenance.

But anyway, back to the problem at hand. I put it on reserve literally 1/4 mil from the gas station. Took a second for it to kick in, but it started up again just fine. I just don't if I'm doing something wrong and it's frustrating to me.

Claudia

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I generally kick over to reserve anywhere between 200-225 miles. My problem is Since I ride on the freeway 50 of the 52 miels of my commute, I never hear the engine when it starts to run out, so usually my carb is dry by the time I realize i need to hit the reserve. So to prevent this I kick it over to reserve based on miles instead of running out. My average fill up is about 4.2 gallons If I ride to reserve and then add another 10-20 miles to a station.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
ahh, in your first post you said you were guesstimating the gas mileage. try actually figuring it out, and then use the capacity of the gas tank to tell you how far you should go before you hit the reserve. i assume 60 mpg,and fill up at 220 miles (shy of 3 gallons). it's very conservative, and i find that's the best to be with fuel, i'd rather have more than i need instead of less. unless i'm on fire (ask any pilot). if you're getting low gas mileage, i'm not sure what to tell you. i haven't messed with any of the carb settings on either of my bikes since i got them, and still get 60 mpg. my EX hadn't been ridden for awhile since i got it, and i found the mileage increased from approx 48 when i first got it to the 60 i'm getting now. of course your mileage will vary depending on how you ride, the terrain, etc... but i don't think 50 mpg is unreasonable for city driving, and with a slightly 'heavy' throttle hand.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I ride an '07, daily commute is 14 miles each direction, 10 of which is freeway. I cruise at 85 mph...and my gas mileage is in the 45mpg range. You guys that are getting 50 and 60 in the city...wtf, how? Maybe I have a heavy throttle hand... I know that when I ride out to Diamond bar, which is a 40 mile drive i notice my mileage going up a bit but never much above 50mpg. Is 85 just too fast at too high of an rpm to be cruising at?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Constant 85 on the highway will drop your mileage. These aren't exactly the most areodynamic bikes in the world. I'm sure you feel that at 85. Slow down a bit and see what happens. Also try to keep constant throttle and not use it like an on/off switch. Don't treat a commute as a race and you should be fine. I usually see anywhere from 52-58mpg depending on how I ride. I typically fill up anywhere from 150-200miles. I've hit reserve once and that was because I was just pushing it to see how far it would go. It hit reserve around 215. I couldn't get my hand on the petcock and almost got killed in the process by a cage but I finally got it and popped it back to life. I filled up a few miles later.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I hit reserve at approx 150 miles on my 00. I commute about 10 miles per day but its loaded with hills and frequent stops so I just assume that and the nasty jet job on my carbs are the reason for the MPG. Putting the carbs back to stock hoping it helps a bit.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
There is indeed a huge difference if you always ride highway or always commuting lower than 40 mph.

my gas consumption can vary between 5 to 7 litre per 100 km

Also, something could have a big impact on the MPG of this bike.. Since the speedo seems to be sometimes 10% too entusiastic (shows 110 km/h when you're going 100km/h) I suspect the trip meter could be biased too ;) And that could affect the MPG readings too

·
Registered
244 Posts
60mph the first couple of weeks and first tank on my first weekend run. Second, third, fourth tanks on that day were all in the 50mpg range. Now I tend to get closer to 45mpg. I guess I found the fun switch. ;)

First few weeks I really was babying it - shifting at 6k and rarely running it out. Do that, and you'll get awesome mileage, but not as much fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I have a super dumb question now.

Someone just said they are shifting at 7k. I'm shifting at 5-6k. Am I shifting too low and that could be causing it my lack of mileage? By the time I get to 7k, I feel like I'm going to shake off the bike! I thought it worked the other way around...

Claudia

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
maat1976 said:
Ok, I have a super dumb question now.

Someone just said they are shifting at 7k. I'm shifting at 5-6k. Am I shifting too low and that could be causing it my lack of mileage? By the time I get to 7k, I feel like I'm going to shake off the bike! I thought it worked the other way around...

Claudia
no, you're fine. generally, the less RPMs you run, the better your mileage will be. there is a point that running too low an RPM is detrimental to fuel Economy, but you could putter around town with a lawn mower engine (a whopping 3 horse). you usually find that running too low a RPM more detrimental at higher speeds than in town commutes though. if MPG is your thing, shift low and stay in a high gear. the less bangs per second you make, the less fuel you are using. I've always done this (6th gear @ 30 MPH) with both my EX and CBR and i averages out to about 55 MPG with the EX and 45 MPG with the CBR.

G

·
Are you sure your mileage is that low? Seems strange to me.... I weigh 245 or so and I really have to thrash the bike to get less than 50mpg, has only happened a couple times. Average mileage commuting is 52-54, steady 60-75 mph will get 63-66 mpg.

Rich

1 - 20 of 63 Posts