Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

I am toying with the idea of giving my ride a z750 lil'bro look.

I like the look of the raptor fairing but I have one major concern : I want to keep the stock instrument panel on my EX500.

So could anyone tell me if the instrument cluster could fit in/behind the raptor fairing without looking too bad or outta place ? I'd like measurements if it's possible. length, width & deepness of the thing. I know I would have to make some special brackets but this is no biggie for me.

If anyone want to share their experience with those products, please do :)

This is the Raptor fairing I'm talking about : http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/RAPTOR_ONE_FAIRINGS.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
I didn't have any luck as you've probably seen in my pictures. This is why I did the custom gauges. Unless you wanted to make brackets that would put the fairing out further, then you might make it work. But if I remember I don't think it was wide enough either... That and they just look way to clunky behind the small fairing... IMO

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that a.lee.hagen but I forgot to specify that my cluster is from a 1st gen bike.

It's roughly 10½ inches wide by 6 inches high and 6½ deep (with the black plastic cover) I could shorten it to 3.5 inches deep by 5¼ high and 8½ wide by reshaping the black plastic cover.

I wouldn't mind having it stick out by 1 inch toward the driver too. :)

Do you think it could fit ?

Thanks much :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think they have measurements on the website, some of them aren't as specific as I'd like, but I made it work. I think when I measured it it was just too close for my comfort so I got the speedo from JCWhitney and got lucky and I found an electrical tach that matched on e-bay. I saw your gauges you made for your other fairing and think if you wanted to, something like that would probably work this time.

OK, I just ran out and took some quick measurements:
-Top of ignition to top of windshield = 4 1/2"
-Fork to fairing distance on the side = 3"
-Width of fairings top two corners = 10 1/4"

Hope that helps out Frog

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will help indeed :)

Thanks much.

I'll check tonight, keep an eye here, I'll probably ask for more ;)

I want to see if I could hide the cluster in the raptor fairing, so it would have a look closer to factory.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks much Nick D but I think this looks more like the Dash universal fairing to me
http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/DASH_UNIVERSAL_FAIRINGS.html

Notice the sides of the fairing, we can see the side of the cluster, especially in the right side picture.. That's what I want to hide ;)

That's pretty close to what I'd like to have ;D

Is this guy member here ? I checked and I haven't found that name in the member list :-\

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
He was on the old site, and I haven't seen him since. Unfortunately I didn't get his e-mail or anything.

As far as physical size, I figured the two were really close. His just looks like the above with a little reshaping and signals added (since the light looks like the same unit to me).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Frog said:
Notice the sides of the fairing, we can see the side of the cluster,m especially in the right side picture.. That's what I want to hide ;)
You probably won't be able to do that with the Raptor fairing... just as a guess, seeing as I haven't seen the 1st gen gauges. In order to hide the sides you would have to shorten the brackets to the forks and that would leave you virtually no room for your gauges. If you do get it, however, get PIAA H6M Bulbs... they make a world of difference. The only draw back is they are $30 a piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well, by divine intervention I happened to find this site. Ever since the old one went down, I've been sporadically searching for another EX site. A quick google for "ex500 streetfighter" and I find my bike!

If anyone is interested in seeing more pics of how I mounted that fairing, I will be tearing it apart this coming weekend for routine maintenance stuff and you can see everything in all it's glory.

It's good to be back...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Good to have you back! I've slung your name around a few times, but the above link was the closest I came to finding you (and that was just yesterday) :p.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to see you around chayos ! ;D

I would need as much picts as you can get. Having a measuring tape as a point of referrence is always helpful ;)

Closeups for sides and the driver perspective too. I'm curious to know how it looks up close.

I will try to go with the raptor fairing as you saw but I'm still pretty much interested in seeing how you did, brackets and stuff.

It's much appreciated :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll be happy to post a write up on how I did everything. I may just write the text and post the pics later. I'm less than a week a way from giving my two weeks notice at this job, so I don't feel a whole lot of motivation to do actual work...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel you, I'm in the same kind of situation at work myself ;)

But working on my toy keeps me going ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
=> Chayos, could you show me how you got a mirror installed on the right side (from sitting on the bike) I got the hole to screw the mirror in on the left, but nothing on the right. So I'm curious ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I apologize, but things got postponed. I was going over the bike to make sure everything passes inspection on Thursday when I realized my forks are in serious need of some TLC, among other things. Instead of tearing my fairing apart as planned, I ran all over creation trying to find h6m bulbs for the Raptor fairing and ended up buying them on ebay anyway. Also, my mounting method for the fairing has apparently failed, since the plastic is starting to crack. I have a new idea (engineers always do), but won't expand upon it until I'm sure it works.

Frog, I installed the mirrors using longer screws on top hole of the plastic housings. I took all the crap off the OEM mirrors that mounts them to the stock fairing and ran the screw through that hole with a rubber washer on both sides. This creates enough friction when the screw is tightened to hold the mirror in place, but still allows room for adjustment. I plan to convert to handlebars, at which point I will just get handlebar mounted mirrors. The only reason I did that was when I bought the bike and needed everything in place so I could get the damn thing out on the road :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts