Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Need a little advice. I was pulling my rear tire to get new tires and I normally replace the brakes while I'm there.
This time I noticed a lip on the hub. Should I be concerned about it? I will add a picture to show what I mean.
Also it has been a while since riding the bike and I'm wondering if I need to replace the rear brakes? I will add a picture.

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
At some point in it's life the rear brake lining wore out too much and allowed metal to metal contact withe the drum. not much you can doo except replace the shoes and stop using the rear brake.
of course you can replace the wheel

FOG

Reactions: ghostt

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,820 Posts
Now that's a lip!!!

I agree with Fog, it's time to look for a rear wheel

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Call an automotive machine shop or two. They may be able to turn the lip out and true the out-of-round drum. Or you could Dremel the lip off, spinning the wheel by hand. There's good meat left on the shoes. I would correct any out of round on the drum, reassemble and learn to avoid the rear brake. Being of limited power, and possessing the ability to put you on your head, forget the rear and learn front brake only. The rear is good basically for holding the bike at stoplights and a few maintenance procedures.

·
Registered
393 Posts
"a lip on the hub"
I'm confused. Can you add an arrow to the lip?

I can see a bit of rust around the circumference where the brake shoes
contact, can you sand that clean? The brake shoes look pretty good to me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

there you go.

it caused by using brake linings with too hard a compound over a long time period wears the hub not the shoes does it all the time on disk brakes.
any of the solutions above may work for now. but I would just change the wheel for one with a un-damaged liner.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
I don't see the lip either. Maybe if you cleaned it up and got a close-up shot. If the drum were wearing out, there would be 2 lips.

Looks like half of the brake lining is below the wear limit. If the shoes were replaced at the last tire replacement, and half (or more) of the lining is warn off, it would stand to reason that those shoes won't last until the next tire replacement.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Thanks for the close-up yorkie, but I still don't see anything but rust. It could just be me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Thanks for the close-up yorkie, but I still don't see anything but rust. It could just be me.
yes there is a lot of rust that brake has not been working properly for a long time. but if you look at the close up you can see the shadow created by the ridge on the outer edge it's about 3or4mm high with a similar ridge on the inside.
here is a better shot.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Sorry, still not seeing it. There is a lot of rust because he has not been riding the bike. But I'm more than willing to concede, since I have never had a first gen.
I see that outer ridge. If that is not stock, I don't see how a bad brake shoe could create a ridge.
But I'll just bow out at this point.

Edit: In other words:
If we are assuming the brake shoe removed the drum material on the right of the ridge, what removed the material to the left of the ridge?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Edit: In other words:
If we are assuming the brake shoe removed the drum material on the right of the ridge, what removed the material to the left of the ridge?
nothing. the left of the ridge is the alloy hub and the edge of the brake liner (a steel band inserted into the the alloy rim) the top of the ridge is the original thickness of the steel band inserted into the hub.

edit.
I will try and explain it better. ever felt the rib on the edge of a badly worn brake disc. well it's the same rib only on the edge of the brake liner

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
please sow a photo of the brake lining from the periphery

FOG

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
yes there is a lot of rust that brake has not been working properly for a long time. but if you look at the close up you can see the shadow created by the ridge on the outer edge it's about 3or4mm high with a similar ridge on the inside.
here is a better shot.
View attachment 54841
Seen on car drums consistently. Automotive drums can be a real chore to remove once a they are worn so far as to create a lip. You cannot avoid using front and rear on a car, but I very rarely use the rear on a motorcycle. Decades ago, I rode Mulholland drive in Cali on a 650 Yamaha. I did not touch the rear brake in all of that foolishness.

Since gen1 wheels are cheap, yes, best bet to simply find one the same color and recycle the old one.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments.
Yes the bike has been sitting in my shop for 3 yrs. I'm finally getting out and ready to ride. New tires means new brakes.
I have an extra set of wheels that I will need to get setup the same as the one in the pics. It has no lip on it so we should be good with using it.
I will have to learn how to use just the front brake. How often does everyone change the front brakes when that is all they use?
BPE: I don't know how you could be missing the lip. 😁

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Reactions: dutch724

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
I wonder if that steel liner is replaceable. I know I could do it but is it worth the trouble with the availability of used parts
FOG

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
the ring it's self is not obtainable as a part, but you can make your own . requires a lot of machine work. but with a replacement wheel being as cheap as they are perhaps not worth the effort.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be interested in getting it fixed. For me I have sand blasting, powder coating and new bearings cost to consider. I will still move forward with getting the spare wheel I have sand blasted, powdered and new bearings and then hold onto the old wheel until Fog has it all figured out😁😁

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I had one done on a bike where the parts were impossible to obtain (Norton Electra) about 20 years ago. it involves removing the old band. skimming the bare hub. making the new band. pressing it in. then machining the new band to the stock size. took them about a week and cost me £200 (240usd) of course they had re spoke it as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
What was throwing me the most was the absence of lip #2. But I found it by expanding the pic.
Azure Font Communication Device Gadget Electric blue

Everyone was focused on lip #1. The outer edge of lip #1 as indicated by arrow #4 is a stock lip. The inner edge of lip #1 (lip #1A if you will) is pretty obstructed from view. Mostly just seeing a shadow. Now if we turn our focus to arrow #3, this is where you can see lip #2 (can be easier seen by expanding the original pic). Most of lip #2 is hidden from view from built up brake dust, indicated by arrow #1.

The presence of lip #2 is required for the argument of what gave birth to lip #1A.

My biggest take off this thread is:
Pics are important not only to help show what is being explained, but so that we can also dissect and analyze them.😁

Reactions: dutch724
1 - 20 of 23 Posts