Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Don’t know where you got all that from. The lip was pretty clear to me as soon as I looked at the pics and enlarged them enough that I could see. No need to make it more complex than it is.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You guys crack me up!
I really appreciate the help you all give.
I try to give pictures to help explain what I'm seeing. When I ask for help I try to give you as much info as I can to get a more accurate answer.
I have decided to finish this riding season with the wheel and next year I will have my other wheel all ready to go.
I'm thinking going with semi sintered pads might have caused this. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have semi sintered on the front pads as well. Should I be worried about wearing out the front rotor?
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Rotors and drums are consumables. That indicates what Kawi thought of the bike. The solution is to learn, via steady practice, front brake use, as the rear drum is almost useless anyway. With drums, the more braking you want, the more pressure you use with your foot which is not all that sensitive and at the same time using a drum brake that does not provide much feedback. With the front weight bias, and with weight transfer of braking on top of that, the rear is likely to lock up, resulting in a loss of directional control. It can put you sideways, or send you straight into whatever you are braking to avoid. From years of investigating motorcycle accidents, one would very often - too often - see a single black streak from the locked up rear wheel leading right into the ditch, embankment or other vehicle. Once the rear locks up, you cannot steer around any obstacle.

If you use aggressive pads, expect more frequent rotor replacement. The slots in the shoes help mainly when riding in the wet. Drum brakes lose almost all of their power when wet, and the angled slots channel water away. That helps to recover braking power.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts