Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
As far as I remember, that switch can be unscrewed, try cleaning it up before doing anything

·
Registered
97 Posts
dragknee said:
the spring one or the other one?
The brake light switch screws into a threaded plastic housing which is also considered part of the brake light switch. The first thing I probably do is take the switch itself and turn it in a counterclockwise direction to unscrew it out of the plastic housing. I don't think your switch is probably bad,its just out of adjustment. My switch has been on my bike for 28 thousand and some change and is still working,allthough its about to the end of its adjustment. If you need a pic to show you what I'm talking about,let me know. I got a new camera not to long ago and I need to make some use of it,, besides a paper weight.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Taking it off & apart... & cleaning it up might save you some $$.

My brake light was staying on all the time until I finally discovered that part, & piddled with the foot brake switch. It's written up on another topic here, somewhere. It works fine now.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fixed. i looked at it and saw what you ment abou tit screwing out. turned it about a quarter turn, works perfect now :) thanks! you saved me 16 dollars.

what would you recommend for the front switch? it doesnt work at all ??? figure it just needs replaced...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
After making sure the wire connectors weren't loose, or the wires smashed or cut...

I took mine off and tested the internals with an ohm meter, but a simple battery & light would do the trick too. The untouched brake lever is spring-loaded to push in the little brake switch button. That opens (shuts off) the switch. When you pull the brake lever that little switch springs-out, which closes (turn on) the circuit.

You could use the multimeter to see if 12V is getting to the switch, and if the other side is grounded (continuity check).

After finding my front brake switch was working fine, that's when I started looking elsewhere & found the rear brake switch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
After making sure the wire connectors weren't loose, or the wires smashed or cut...

I took mine off and tested the internals with an ohm meter, but a simple battery & light would do the trick too. The untouched brake lever is spring-loaded to push in the little brake switch button. That opens (shuts off) the switch. When you pull the brake lever that little switch springs-out, which closes (turn on) the circuit.

You could use the multimeter to see if 12V is getting to the switch, and if the other side is grounded (continuity check).

After finding my front brake switch was working fine, that's when I started looking elsewhere & found the rear brake switch.
Just one thing to add to what he said,when you check the wires make sure the plugs or the terminals are not coroded. When I replaced mine it cost around 16$ or so,if I remember correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts