Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Erm. no sorry the frame has been butchered. to make it a single seater. the place where the foot pegs should be it right where the exhaust is. and you could not carry a passenger without a chain guard anyway far to dangerous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking of using these and just clamp them above the chain. When my wife sits on the back here feet are most comfortable there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a very tall bike. I'm 6 foot 7 inch tall and my legs are completely extended when on the ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found this. Could cut the mount smaller and drill a new hole so it fits the square frame.

·
Registered
959 Posts
the thing about modifying bikes is you have to have a clear end point in mind. it's use and how it will work in practice.
changing your mind at the end or even half way though is quite difficult. I built a cruiser out of an EX. from the start it was never envisaged it would ever carry anyone else so was designed with that in mind.
I figure whoever did yours had the same thing in mind or he would not have cut the peg mounts off and stuck a high level exhaust of that design. moreover why would you want a passenger on a dirt bike.
when designing and developing a modified bike the parameters are important. not sure about in the US but here Kawasaki made a duel use dirt/road bike called the KLE 500 it is dual use but not great at either as the road element is compromised for off road. and the off road element is compromised because of the road use.
yours has been built for off road I think your stuck with that. there is a old saying on the forum "it's your bike do what you want with it" for the occasions when a idea isn't the best one. this may be one of those occasions.
otherwise a few retro mods may have to be done to it to make it the bike you want it to be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im in a town of under 3,500 people in a 30 mile square in the middle of no where. Just want to be able to take my wife or daughter down the street to the store or the fishing pond on the back of the bike. No offroad or ride further than a mile. This is the bike. Great on and off road. Got it to 110 mph on the freeway no problem. But the tires are only rated for 117. So i didn't push it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The Dirt Ninja! Awesome to see it again! Great on and off road?... how dirt worthy is it? I don't 100% guarantee these will work, but the rear footpegs off a zx600C or 88-97 ninja 600r, might just fit the bill. They clamp onto the frame spar, and have a back plate to clamp them on. As Yorkie so wisely said- you really need a chain guard if someone's feet will be planted right above the chain. But the ZX600C and EX500 subframes are the same dimensions where they mount, so they should fit, although you might have to grind/file or shim slightly. The ZX600C frame does have tabs welded on it to keep them from sliding, would only cost a few dollars to have them added to your bike, as well as mounting tabs for a chain guard. Check ebay item # 331981176203, there's a pair for under $20.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Always better with pics Plus you get bonus features like an actual exhaust mount, and a spot to mount a helmet lock with the ZX600 rear pegs

·
Registered
692 Posts
You can also use hose clamps to clamp the chain guard mounts on the swingarm, and Bandit 1200 chain guards are pretty cheap on ebay, they're all aluminum, not plastic. ebay item # 254627935608

·
Registered
692 Posts
i will cut the chain guard mounts if you need them, just don't carry a passenger without the chain guard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Dirt Ninja! Awesome to see it again! Great on and off road?... how dirt worthy is it? I don't 100% guarantee these will work, but the rear footpegs off a zx600C or 88-97 ninja 600r, might just fit the bill. They clamp onto the frame spar, and have a back plate to clamp them on. As Yorkie so wisely said- you really need a chain guard if someone's feet will be planted right above the chain. But the ZX600C and EX500 subframes are the same dimensions where they mount, so they should fit, although you might have to grind/file or shim slightly. The ZX600C frame does have tabs welded on it to keep them from sliding, would only cost a few dollars to have them added to your bike, as well as mounting tabs for a chain guard. Check ebay item # 331981176203, there's a pair for under $20.
Ah thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to get at least a new front tire (too much freeway driving= bald) to know how dirt worthy it is. But as long as I take it easy on turns, it's certainly a good offroad bike. Only weighs 340lbs. What a change from a gl1100 interstate over 800lbs! But ya it's a lot of fun. Wish I could get in touch with the builder. Got it off 2nd owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts