Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Currently got my rear wheel off (bike is on centre stand) and am trying to remove the rear suspension linkage (unitrak?) but I am struggling. Each bolt I try and remove just seems to spin but not come out. Can someone please try and point me in the right direction? Am I going about it the right way (i.e having the bike on the centre stand), am I missing something?

Just a bit of background info on why I'm doing it - the rear suspension was not coming back up on its own when pushing it down (it was getting stuck) and would only come back up if you pull up on the back end of the bike. Previous research suggests the bushes inside the linkage may be seized/seizing (albeit the bike has only ever covered 3600 miles in its entire life)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
undo the rear shock and remove it then the dog bones ( underneath the swing arm ) then undo the bolt that attaches the coupler to the frame ( its between the centre stand ) it should come off ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers. I know seem to be having trouble with the nuts on the inside top of the dog bones. 17mm spanner doesn't quite seem to fit??? Damn I'm sh1t at this!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
lol they are a bit of a pain use a socket on the outside of the bolt and the spanner really only just fits enough to hold it on the inside , if the nuts are still not coming off , then im afraid the swing arm will need to come off and the coupler . its connected underneath between the centre stand

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no, it gets worse perhaps!

I looked at the nuts on the outside but I thought they looked like they had been welded on in the factory. Fear not I have a big bar!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
They are self locking nuts, it helps to have a helper....

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I am the stig said:
They are self locking nuts
In my experience with a socket on each side, the locking nut actually tends to stay put against the dogbones, while the bolt backs out. Try loosening the bolt side rather than the nut side. It seems wrong, but it usually works a little better for me. Once you loosen it up enough to get some space between the dogbone and nut, then the nut will easily spin right off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE....

I have more of an idea what I'm doing now, but what I've done is put it all back together and moved it to somewhere where I have more room to work on it.

Two points have come out of this procedure.

1. The rear suspension seems better than it was before... I wonder if the dog bone bolts and other bolts had been way too tight? Possible?

2. Its running like an absolute bag of sh1te. Whilst travelling it seems super hesitant and then it just eventually bursts in to life and goes like stink. A bit like a two stroke really, but a lot worse. It was actually a bit like this before it got laid up for months as it happens. This was after a full carb overhaul!

Woe is me!

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
The Dog Bone bolts are supposed to be rock hard tight against the pins which are supposed to float free in the housing. you must pull the pins and lube them until they do.

FOG

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
@OP....
If the bike's doing that "2-stroke power band" feel....
You've still most likely got a carburetor problem.
Whether it be the pilot jets, the many small passages, etc.

No offense but just because they were "cleaned" doesn't mean they were done correctly.
The floats need to be checked and set, they need to be synced, mix screws set properly...

I and Ducatiman both do carb services.
I'm in NC and Duc in NY.
If you're in doubt about those carbs send them to one of us.

O_E_M

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Blakes101 said:
O_E_M thanks for that. I'd have taken you up on the offer but I live in the UK!
No problem. The UK adds some obvious issues.
(Shipping wise and a slight difference in carbs).
If you need help just ask.

O_E_M

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
lazy cackle said:
I still have this available should you want it.

Sleeves exposed to show their shiny non-seized goodness.
how much lazy cackle I need a new coupler my old 1 is bent :p .
if blake is in no need of it

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
60 is a bit steep for me :( atm ( build is costing a fortune ) . I know its worth 60 best I could do is £40 and a trade . iv got a bran new spray gun if your after 1 ( surplus due to buying one for a full compressor not a airbrush 1 )

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for keeping me in mind. I need to get the damn thing running right before I do anything else I think :'(

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If they're really that rare/expensive over there, you might see about getting one from the US. There are a number of used ones on eBay for <$10. Obviously shipping will add to that (possibly quite a bit), but it might still end up being cheaper overall.

·
Registered
235 Posts
InvisiBill said:
If they're really that rare/expensive over there, you might see about getting one from the US.
I actually considered getting one shipped from the US myself. You could probably get one shipped to the UK for £50 inclusive. There's plenty of ones on offer in the UK for £30 but I never dared to buy one. I might just be overly paranoid about this part on UK bikes, and the sellers really have tested them properly. I have my doubts though if even an MOT tester doesn't notice a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your right Lazy Cackle, you can. I've considered it myself and yes it would cost around £50. That said it would be worth the extra £10 to buy yours as it has new internals.

Dependent on State/rider used US examples won't have suffered the weather/salt UK ones have had. And I think I'm right in saying there is no MOT in the US, so faults won't get picked up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts