Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idk if this is possible but I would like to swap out the rear tire and swing arm to something that will hold a thicker tire. I'm not worried about performance as to this bike will never see a track or canyons its mainly used for random rides. I am in the process of makeing a unique show bike (frankin bike) I have always wondered if a swingarm from a different bike would bolt in. I'm haveing a hard time getting measurements with the swingarm still attached as too the bike is my only means of transportation at the moment so I don't want to take it apart yet. If anyone knows the measurement or has the swingarm off and could get the measurement for me it would greatly appreciated. I have a 07 ex500r the picture shows the measurement I would need if what I wrote is not clear.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
"Oh boy" I hope that is not the tire your using and riding on man that's lethal.

as for the question good news and bad news. good news. most Kawasaki models use the same basic mono shock system and are similar in size and shape. so most of the bigger models would fit (with some work) so ZZR ZXR and bigger GPZ swing arm would fit. you would have to check the fixing points ECT. but should be no problem for the handy.
there have been examples of owners fitting ones off Honda CBR and so on but it requires careful work to complete.
for example on mine I have a GTR 1000 swing arm and wheel that would take a 160 tire (using a 150) but not everyone wants a drum rear brake.

the bad news is it is far more complicated that you think it is not only do you need precise measurements but fabrication skills. you would also then have to use the whole rear kit from your chosen bike but work around how to connect the suspension. brakes. ride height. also you would have to take into account the different length of the actual swing arm. rear chain alignment. and so on.
so yes possible. quick fix no way.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The rear swingarm spindle is 220mm wide - that is the width between the frame bosses at the pivot point. Any prospective swingarm would need to be narrowed (or widened) to fit that window. If you are really lucky, you might find a Kosman modified wheel. They did a few EX wheels in the late 80s-early 90s to 4" or 5" wide. Here's a thread with a heavily modified EX:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Might be easier to modify the stock swingarm and wheel??
Where are you located? A member may have a spare wheel and swingarm for cheap, you can tinker with those while you ride.

...and should we take up a collection to buy you a new tire, or
can we at least take out a life insurance policy on you? :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts