Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 ex500 and the left rear turn signal running light isn’t working. I have a new turn signal that I put on it and the running light still doesn’t work. Where should I start to check?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Running lights are only in front. The rears are turn signals only. Have a look at the bulbs. The front has two center contacts and two filaments (running and signal). The rear, just one, for the signal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running lights are only in front. The rears are turn signals only. Have a look at the bulbs. The front has two center contacts and two filaments (running and signal). The rear, just one, for the signal.

My rear right turn signal has a running light on though that’s why I was wondering.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If the bulb socket has only a single contact in the center, then something is powering your turn signal when it is off. Some electrical diagnostics are in order, it would seem. Bad ground connections often send power through odd paths. I would begin there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your rear turn signal bulb on either side is on when your blinkers are off you have a short somewhere. I would check the areas where the wires rub against the frame, I have a 1997 and the wiring looms do age. There are absolutely NOT any "running lights" on the rear signals, you can see there are 3 wires for the front signals (which DO have running lights) and 2 wires for the rear signals.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
both the above answers although contradictory could be correct, either you have bad earth (open circuit) or a short.
an open circuit will make the electric find a new path to earth (return) as it always tries to find the shortest route to make a connection if that means going through a different route (like a indicator) it will.
a short. where the indicator lights when it is not supposed to could be because it is gaining power from a different circuit because somewhere 2 or more power wires are rubbing and sharing the power. (short).
if the rear indicator lights when running lights are on. I would start by looking at the front ones for an issue where the power is being diverted to the indicator circuit from the running light circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts