Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening, I was performing some cleaning maintenance on my bike and replaced my rear brake pads today, and after putting the wheel back on it was very difficult to spin. I redid the entire process several times and I keep getting the same results. I have a 2007 2 Gen. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
You forgot a spacer between the chain hub and the wheel .this allows the axel bolt to bind the hub to the wheel. You must not ride it in this state

Fog

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I put that back in. So weird done that before and had no issues. The only thing I can think of is that the brake pads are to thick. I gave make model and year to Cycle Gear and they provided me with what I installed today.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,889 Posts
Did you push in caliper pistons back in before installing the new pads?

Also did you service the caliper like @fog recommends

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
if it was ok before you started but not after obviously something is wrong. you should do these tasks in stages wheel in, axle bolt, chain adjustment tighten the wheel nut to torque. and then spin the wheel before fitting the rear brake. that way if there is an issue you can pinpoint it to that bit.
try unbolting and removing the rear calliper. see if the wheel is free then. if it is you know it's the brake. it it isn't then it's something else so slacken the axle nut try again and so forth. at some point the wheel will be free so that's where the issue is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I went back out there and achieved success. I broke everything back down and did it again one step at a time. This time however I removed the caliper from the holding plate and tested the wheel after inserting the axle. It spun freely. I knew then something was up with the brake. I took the pads back out cleaned the calla little bit more lubing the pins and so on. I then put the pads back in adjusting them where I thought best for installation and then placed the caliper onto the holding plate as the pads fell on both sides of the rotor. Spun the wheel and all was well. Tighten everything up and that was that. Thanks guys for the help. Really appreciate it!👍🏽

·
Registered
11 Posts
You forgot a spacer between the chain hub and the wheel .this allows the axel bolt to bind the hub to the wheel. You must not ride it in this state

Fog
The guy I bought my bike from forgot this spacer and when I went on my first ride the bearing crushed and the rotor hub bolts started slamming against the swingarm. I was VERY lucky that there was minimal damage and I didn't crash horribly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts