Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Financial and family circumstances meant selling bikes was necessary, but I have the opportunity to acquire several boxes of EX500. Not entirely sure whether it is a vanilla EX500, a GPZ500 (S, or R) or whatever, but that's less relevant as I'd like to build a road-legal flat/street track style bike.
I think basing the build on a lightweight 500 twin would make for a lot of fun! I've seen one or two on here, without looking hard, and while I'm not perhaps planning the very involved work that was involved in thread 33038, post 5 of 17 (elsewhere on EX-500.com) you get the idea. It's to be a bit of fun, and still suitable and comfortable to commute 25km each way for work.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what is on offer.
Cheap.
Checking the VIN suggests it is/was a GPZ500S.
Should keep me out of mischief for a while. 0:)

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
is the bike a UK/euro model. looking at the pictures it's a silver framed GEN1 with drum brake. 89 to 93 G to L reg it cannot be a S or R as these were GEN2 M to 03 disc rear brake. check the papers carefully. could be a clone. there are things and issues in the difference between gen 1 and gen 2 but that doesn't matter just now. make sure you know what you have got first. oh and welcome by the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the bike a UK/euro model. looking at the pictures it's a silver framed GEN1 with drum brake. 89 to 93 G to L reg it cannot be a S or R as these were GEN2 M to 03 disc rear brake. check the papers carefully. could be a clone. there are things and issues in the difference between gen 1 and gen 2 but that doesn't matter just now. make sure you know what you have got first. oh and welcome by the way.
Ah - the wonder of market vagaries! I'm in NZ (I've updated my profile a bit) so this is likely to either be a NZ-new, or a Japanese import (sold and used in Japan, imported to NZ). Could be ex-UK too, of course - I'm waiting for a bit more info.

You know a lot more than I do about these. (Ask me about Suzuki GS1000s, or air-cooled GSXR1100s! Or Triumph Trials Cubs, or Ariel HT5s...)

Drum brake is likely irrelevant at this point as if the plans come together, it'll run on wire wheels. Something like this would be nice, but I do appreciate it's going to take a lot of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The 4 fin head puts that as more than likely a 1990 or earlier model.

Looks to be a fairly completely pile of parts there. Long as the seller doesn't want more than a couple hundred bucks tops, I'd go for it.

As a side note, the Cobra F1 mufflers on there are rare as hen's teeth these days. I've got a set and in my opinion, they produce the best sound out of any aftermarket exhaust for these bikes. They're also vastly lighter in weight than the stock mufflers. If you decide not the use them, I'm sure somebody will buy them off of you.

The VIN is only a few months newer than my EX, which was manufactured in April of 1989 for the 1990 model year, so I'd be willing to bet that it is also a 1990.

As a side note, someone commented on the silver nature of the frame. All gen1 EX's (1987-1993) sold in Europe (Asia I think too though not sure) had silver painted frames, though here in the the States, that was only the case on early gen1's for the first two model years. I believe all gen2 frames, regardless of market, were sold painted black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks to be a fairly completely pile of parts there. Long as the seller doesn't want more than a couple hundred bucks tops, I'd go for it.
Asking price is NZ $300, so a fraction under US $200. :cool:

Any deal is a bit slow in coming... I ask a question, and sometime in the next two days I get an answer! I suggested I'd make an offer and collect this weekend, but that was yesterday and while my message has been read, there is no reply as yet.

Edit: Seller has accepted $150 (NZ). :grin2:

·
Registered
530 Posts
yeah it's worth a punt at that price. I checked the VIN numbers and while could not find the exact number to a particular bike it does suggest it is 88/89. although that depends on the original market. here in UK the 4 fin head was used from the first importation 87 to 89 after that they had a 5fin head my gen1 (1990) has a 5 fin head. you will get more detail when you get to look at all the parts. should give a good indication of where it came from. good luck keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts