Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im looking at a 1992 ex500 with a seized engine. How hard are they to rebuild or is it better to find a running engine?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Easy & hard, depending, If the crank is good easy. If not it's junk. You'll need to do some re manufacturing. Hone the cylinders cut the valve seats Re lapp the heads and cylinders, trhen it's all un bolting and re bolting.

FOG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remanufacturing as in weld up and turn down correct? Any idea on how much a rebuild kit or parts that would make up a rebuild kit cost?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
trailrunner said:
remanufacturing as in weld up and turn down correct? Any idea on how much a rebuild kit or parts that would make up a rebuild kit cost?
No that process is usually applied to cranks, Like I said if the crank is bad (spun rod bearing) it's junk. Somtimes you get lucky and can find a good used crank cheap. But I caution you some sellers cannot read a micrometer and have no Idea there crank is bad.
To fit new rings you must have the bores re honed. Re Mfg.
You must cut the valve seats Re mfg.
Lapp the head and cylinders re MFG.
Knurl piston skirts re mfg.
I have re built many of these engines and I can tell you the min you'll need is:

Rod and Main bearings
balance shaft bearings.
1/2 mm o.s. piston rings.
4 intake valves (they are not re surfaceable, the exhausts are)

If you can hsndle the re mfg process your golden. I can walk you through the rest easy.

Check the prices on the above parts at ronayers.com

BTW You wont need any gaskets don't buy any. no not even the head gasket.

FOG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't know if you will read this, but thanks FOG. I just got a bike it was running and it seized shortly after first firing. I am lucky in that I have 3 complete motors here and I should be able to put one good one together out of all these parts.

As to it being seized, I can't wrench it over... initially it had a starter problem... rapping on the start with a hammer fixed that sorta, but I pulled the plugs and it still seems siezed.

Any other tips or tricks to putting these things back together?

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
BTW You wont need any gaskets don't buy any. no not even the head gasket.

FOG
Fog, why no gaskets? Are these engines milled that well?

Only asking because I have a rebuild to do, and found this post- and being old school, that comment made me wanna know the secret behind it ;)

Thanks in advance for your time if you respond back to this post so old.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fog, why no gaskets? Are these engines milled that well?

Only asking because I have a rebuild to do, and found this post- and being old school, that comment made me wanna know the secret behind it ;)

Thanks in advance for your time if you respond back to this post so old.
He says that because most of the gaskets are reusable. The head gasket is steel, meaning it will never "blow" and a "blown" head gasket indicates a warped head/ cylinders. Lapping the head/ cylinder surfaces to make them flat and throwing a coat or two of krylon on a cleaned head gasket should be enough, but since the head gasket is steel and not compressible, those mating surfaces better be true.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
^ I believe he also says one coat, and ONE COAT ONLY, on that head gasket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts