Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki ninja 500r
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It gets very hot and melts the plastic and the stator wires get hot also and then loses power for the RPMs while I'm riding it home from can any one give me clues on it please thank you it would be very helpful for me so I don't have to spend a lot of money trying to figure it out

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
on the face of it sounds like the RR has blown but there could be other hidden issues, only way to tell is get the mulitimeter on the system and test it.
melting plastic (not very descriptive) means you have a dead short somewhere. but without more info or some kind of history of the bike anything written would just be a guess.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,404 Posts
provided your wiring is confirmed operational, a Mosfet regulator would/could be your answer to the overheating stocker.
See Mosfet kits

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
302 Posts
provided your wiring is confirmed operational, a Mosfet regulator would/could be your answer to the overheating stocker.
See Mosfet kits
This (y) item is a fix for very very hot item, as well as preventative. Mine was functioning and was hitting temps close to 200. The voltage would drop off when throttled up and go pretty close to 15 volts, IMO very unstable. Anyway I replaced it with the kit that @Custom Carb Service sells and the voltage stays within the 13.5 and 13.9 volts throughout the throttle range. If anything else is wrong with your bike wiring wise changing a part will be difficult as you are changing it from the standard established by Kawasaki.

IMO buy it, zip tie it on (it does not bolt onto stock) and see what happens just do not toss your old one until you have confirmed it works with the new one.

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki ninja 500r
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the face of it sounds like the RR has blown but there could be other hidden issues, only way to tell is get the mulitimeter on the system and test it.
melting plastic (not very descriptive) means you have a dead short somewhere. but without more info or some kind of history of the bike anything written would just be a guess.
I tested everything and it still gets hot should I just change the whole wire harness instead

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I tested everything and it still gets hot
** and the results were. stator resistance, stator voltage (all 3 wires tested in pairs) voltage from RR. continuity checks on all wires state of white 6pin connector. voltage at white wire (engine off ign on) same test (engine running) resistance check on all wiring and connectors. then values checked alongside those in the service manual.

if that checks out little you can do but take a punt on a new RR. be aware if it's not the RR the problem will not be fixed.

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
Coincidentally, I recently swapped in an original (used, pre-owned) Shindengen FH020 voltage regulator into my Ducati SS800. Removing, reusing the original connectors, enabling a straight fit. Reliably charging at 14+ volts while running cool as the proverbial cucumber. I'll guess it'll last the life of the bike now. One less worry.

Reactions: FlipFlop
1 - 11 of 11 Posts