Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put reflective tape on my helmet to make me more visible in low light conditions, but I think I read somewhere that you should not put any decals/stickers on helmets because the glue can weaken the shell material. Do you folks agree with that, and if so, are there any alternatives( like the helmet halo that fits around the bottom of helmet )? ninjamon

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Modern adhesives used in decals & such that are designed for helmets, car bodies, etc, should not harm the helmet materials.

Maybe they could hurt the 1960-70's era helmets...

I don't think you need be concerned at all.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I used to be concerned with this. It passed. I would have to agree with MrSciTrek.

I picked up a number of products from www.reflectivedecals.com/home.htm:

- Yellow Fluorescent Overlay Decal Kit (NOT reflective)

- Warning Decal

- Helmet Halo

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Most helmets come with some type decal on them from the factory . Be it their name or graphics . Another note , a lot of helmets have clearcoat on the and decals will not harm it . Now , if you was to try and paint your helmet the yes some(most) paints would damage the structure of the shell.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As a retailer, every manufacturer has told me the same thing: NEVER put stickers on your helmet.

Apparently in testing, the adhesive that binds the sticker to the helmet, is actually caustic to the shell. It binds to the shell, by literally eating it's way into it. Therefore causing a weak point. So based on their advice (And let's be honest: THEY, not I, are manufacturing and testing the product. ) I would heed their warning.

Not to mention, there are so many more places to place such a sticker.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Google research time:

http://www.helmets.org/stickers.htm

Much more to it but here's a key paragraph...

"As a practical indication of what might be happening in the field, the Snell Memorial Foundation has informed us that the hundreds of crashed helmets they examined in a study done in the mid-1990's with Harborview Injury Prevention Center showed no ill effects from any of the stickers that had been applied. That might be a more definitive statement than any other on this page."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fair enough.

But in this instance, I'll trust the manufacturers. Better to be safe, than sorry.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
D1g1TaL Gh0sT said:
Fair enough.

But in this instance, I'll trust the manufacturers. Better to be safe, than sorry.
The manufactures put stickers on the helmet . The you have DOT sticker , SNELL sticker . Are their stickers a 'special safety sticker' ? I don't think so .

·
Registered
109 Posts
They laminate them on. With pressure or heat depending. The same way they do the graphics. Or so I'm told by them, anways.

I want to visit a factory one day, to witness the entire process myself.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there Ghost - apparently the info you are getting from helmet manufacturers jives with what I read somewhere( can't remember where it came from ). For those that are poo-pooing this, what evidence do you have that would be better than the helmet makers? ninjamon

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
How about a middle point perspective...

Stickers sold & designed to go on helmets would most likely be safe for helmets.
They'd use adhesives compatable w/ helmet materials. Otherwise, in America, the lawsuits would get them.

Stickers sold for general use might not use adhesives that are safe for helmet materials.

Maybe that'll do, until someone finds some legitimate tests/legal cases that prove something otherwise.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe you guys are using crappy helmets but my helmet has a CLEAR COAT on it just like a car, and any decals applied to it by me are applied to the clear coat, not to the actual shell (which is underneath several layers of paint and decals from the factory to begin with).

I have reflective tape in a strip 1/2" wide on the chinbar in front and on the back from the DOT/SNELL logo stickers up to the spoiler.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Wouldn't that thing do the job with no potential harm to your precious helmet ?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Frog said:
Wouldn't that thing do the job with no potential harm to your precious helmet ?

Mr Green Jeans LIVES! :eek:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I fear the full reflective vest would flap too much in the wind

But I think this thing would offer less for the wind to get caught in.

It looks like these can be adjusted to proper fit more easily than the vest too

1 - 20 of 36 Posts