Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike in November of 2020 to work on over the winter as I recovered from hip surgery. I had a lot of fun working on it, learning from a lot people on this forum, and it's been a pretty amazing experience. But now it's time to make room in my garage for my new bike, so I'm selling. I think I've fixed or replaced a lot of stuff that can and will go bad, with the exception of the rough bodywork, but that's the easiest part. Here's the list:
FOG mod & new K&N filter, FOG Bones, #84 rebuilt carbs from Ducatiman, new rotors and pads front and rear, new steel braided lines front and rear, new tapered roller bearings from All Balls, new Delkevic full exhaust system, new chain and sprockets, new front turn signals, Racetech springs & gold emulators, Ninja 300 shock, voltage regulator from Ducatiman, new windscreen, coil over plug conversion (nice!), new Iridium plugs, all new carb rubbers front and rear, and I must be forgetting something. The bike fired right up for the first time after all this work was done about 3 weeks ago, and I've had a chance to put a few miles on her. Starts and runs great, and pulls like a freight train from about 6,800 to 10,500. I know I'm not going to get back what I put in, but this was mostly about me not going nuts with boredom after surgery and having fun working and learning. Whoever ends up with this bike is going to have a great little trouble free machine that's a lot of fun to ride, both beginner and seasoned rider. I'm asking $2,850.00. Oh yeah, clean title! Here's some pics:

And here's the worst of the bodywork:

That's it! I'm located in western Massachusetts, and will help in any way I can as far as shipping goes. Cash or check only. Make me an offer!

Rich

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice work! Great low mileage bike; buyer probably gets at least two seasons of trouble free riding with minimal maintenance.

Would you mind sharing a few sources; where did you get the front disc, front brake line and carb to airbox boots?

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
$2800 is about the average price for an EX where I'm at on CL. They don't ever look as good as the one you have.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Hmm, let's see...
FOG bones $50, rebuilt carbs $250, rotors and pads $350, brake lines $50, steering bearings $40, Delkevic exhaust $350, chain/sprocket set $140, tires $250, carb rubbers $50, fork springs $110, emulators $170, air filter $60.

That's well over sixteen hundred bucks in parts, and every dollar is an improvement not a repair. I'd take a scuffed fender with that deal. '70s Japanese bikes are going for pretty big prices now and I'd rather have an ex-500, which I believe is a future collectible for the same reason the '70s machines are now. If I had the free cash I'd be on it because some of us are more knowledgeable than the average buyer and that's who will buy this, someone who knows what he's getting.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
There are a few more in the area, probably could be a good project for next winter ;) But seriously, you did some great work. I think I'd have paid $2500 for that if I had been in the market.

·
Registered
300 Posts
With that low mileage, and the recent attention to maintenance, repair and improvements, that Guy just bought a NEW motorcycle.
Two years from now, he'll be riding around wondering if he ever needs to do anything to the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a few more in the area, probably could be a good project for next winter ;) But seriously, you did some great work. I think I'd have paid $2500 for that if I had been in the market.
Thanks! It was fun too! Learned a lot in the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts