Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the emissions stuff on a California model? I am talking about the evap canister connected to the front of the fuel tank and the rectangular block under the fuel tank mounting bracket.

I am thinking about removing the exhaust/airbox hoses as I have read on this site. But I would also like to lose the tank vent crap also. The purpose is to get more room to work under the tank and less stuff in the way when doing valve adjusts, etc.

The real question is what to do with the two nipples on the front of my fuel tank. Should I run a hose from on to the other?

Thanks for any advice on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
You can remove all that stuff. You only need to vent the tank. You can vent your cap, or leave one of the hoses on the front open. Just rout it up high to prevent gas leakage.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

note on this image: the bike was CA model but did not have the vented gas cap. Why? couldn't tell you.

I have defeated fog with a pretty picture. It should be noted that the vent to atmosphere at the front of the tank should probably be higher than you expect the gas in the tank to be, for obvious reasons. I ziptied a piece of steel wire to a rubber hose, bent it in a U-shape and stuck it on there, worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
Mulcibre said:

note on this image: the bike was CA model but did not have the vented gas cap. Why? couldn't tell you.

I have defeated fog with a pretty picture. It should be noted that the vent to atmosphere at the front of the tank should probably be higher than you expect the gas in the tank to be, for obvious reasons. I ziptied a piece of steel wire to a rubber hose, bent it in a U-shape and stuck it on there, worked fine.
I'm not sure what you mean by "defeated FOG", but, The whole point of the CA vapor recovery system is to eliminate the cap vent. The tank is vented by those hoses up front the took the fuel vapors from the tank through pump to a charcoal canister and then to the airbox for burning in the engine.
BTW in your picture that rear "vent" is actually a drain for the area around the filler cap. and is not open to the inside of the tank.

Nice picture though.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
no offense intended by that

this was the setup I was using before, and it is actually primarily thanks to FOG and knightslugger that I figured that out in the first place. That was back in the days of ex500riders though, but I recognize most of you guys. It's like we got kicked out of one bar and we've moved on to the next one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
since I've never actually ridden a bike with emissions equipment, how much slower is the bike with it on? How much more fuel efficient?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the responses and Mulcibre for the pic. Very nice. As Knightslugger pointed out, there is no performance advantage, just less stuff to get in the way when doing valve adjustments.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,165 Posts
well, it's not like it's hard to remove it when doing a valve job. Not that i've done one personally, however taking that crap off the top only took maybe... 15 minutes. 2 minutes if i had known what the hell i was doing LOL! What it does give you is aesthetics. If you've got an aftermarket exhaust, either full system or slip-on, it eliminates the POPPING sound on deceleration. some people like it, some don't. either way, that's what blocking off that air injection system does, nothing more. at the most, it removes... what, MAYBE A POUND of weight? I've still got my smog system (i think) in my closet if you really want it back on there... something tells me no though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
California is supposed to start a motorcycle smog progam in April 07. Saw it on thumper talk. How that effects your bike I dont know, just passing along the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
I don't know how effective or valuable the emissions stuff is.
Does anyone have any before/after smog readings?

Guess I'll be the Big Brother advocate & share that removal of effective emissions apparatus, just to get rid of a popping sound, is short-sighted & inconsiderate. Compare it to any one of us throwing just one wrapper or bottle out the window each day as litter... is nothing. No big deal. But if everyone does that (hello, Chicago?) ya get a mess.

Yeah, there are factories on earth belching garbage into the atmo like crazy. They are far worse than any miniscile effect we biker-mod types can do. Yet, there's still truth to the old hippie-era phrase, "If you're not part of the solution than you're part of the problem," and the idea of each person reducing his/her own wastes & pollutants rather than siding with the forces of the Dark Side. Eh, Skywalker.

What'd be cooler than bypassing/elliminating the system is if someone could come up with another way to reduce or mask the popping sound. It's beyond my experience... maybe it's not possible. ??

Ever been in a room where someone's sending out some foul odors?
What if several people were doing it... everywhere ya went?

Live with the popping sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
I don't know how effective or valuable the emissions stuff is.
Does anyone have any before/after smog readings?

Guess I'll be the Big Brother advocate & share that removal of effective emissions apparatus, just to get rid of a popping sound, is short-sighted & inconsiderate. Compare it to any one of us throwing just one wrapper or bottle out the window each day as litter... is nothing. No big deal. But if everyone does that (hello, Chicago?) ya get a mess.

Yeah, there are factories on earth belching garbage into the atmo like crazy. They are far worse than any miniscile effect we biker-mod types can do. Yet, there's still truth to the old hippie-era phrase, "If you're not part of the solution than you're part of the problem," and the idea of each person reducing his/her own wastes & pollutants rather than siding with the forces of the Dark Side. Eh, Skywalker.

What'd be cooler than bypassing/elliminating the system is if someone could come up with another way to reduce or mask the popping sound. It's beyond my experience... maybe it's not possible. ??

Ever been in a room where someone's sending out some foul odors?
What if several people were doing it... everywhere ya went?

Live with the popping sound.
Yeah there is Leave the stock muffler on. Or since you wanted to make noise ... live with it.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE: Guess I'll be the Big Brother advocate & share that removal of effective emissions apparatus, just to get rid of a popping sound, is short-sighted & inconsiderate. Compare it to any one of us throwing just one wrapper or bottle out the window each day as litter... is nothing. No big deal. But if everyone does that (hello, Chicago?) ya get a mess.

It is not like I am removing a catalytic converter which would increase exhaust emissions. I am simply removing the GAS FUME recycling canister, which has no impact on exhaust emissions. The Air Valve is there to recycle any backfire emissions back into the airbox. This does not affect normal operating emissions. I am not running an aftermarket exhaust pipe, my bike does not backfire, and it is kept in a relatively high state of tune. It is not a gross polluter.

I feel that the 57-60 mpg that I am getting on my bike versus the 19 mpg I would get if I was driving my truck 600 miles per week would be the equivalent of picking up a pound of wrappers and bottles on the road. So please put your left-leaning save-the-world from humans Bu!!sh!t IN PERSPECTIVE before you advocate big-brother morality on other people.

Whew, got that off my chest. Please have a nice day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
commuter said:
QUOTE:
...So please put your left-leaning save-the-world from humans Bu!!sh!t IN PERSPECTIVE before you advocate big-brother morality on other people.
Whew, got that off my chest. Please have a nice day!


Good grief. How old are you?
You finished an otherwise excellent response with the pitiful tweenager-like sentence quoted above.

I offered a perspective concerning responsible behavior as concerns an individual's choices that impact other people. You disagree... fine state your case. Making it rude degrades your standing here, with the exception of others here, if any, who at moments of weakness put emotional verbage into non-emotional issues. (A common human quality that can be tough to over-rule, self included.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,367 Posts
(A common human quality that can be tough to over-rule, self included.)

Not me.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
FOG said:
(A common human quality that can be tough to over-rule, self included.)

Not me.

FOG
Well, of course... it's only tough if you try to over-rule it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE: Good grief. How old are you?
You finished an otherwise excellent response with the pitiful tweenager-like sentence quoted above.

I offered a perspective concerning responsible behavior as concerns an individual's choices that impact other people. You disagree... fine state your case. Making it rude degrades your standing here, with the exception of others here, if any, who at moments of weakness put emotional verbage into non-emotional issues. (A common human quality that can be tough to over-rule, self included.)


MrSciTrek, first of all let me thank you the compliment regarding the first portion of my response. I am not proud of the rude portion, but I admit I saw red when I was compared to a litterbug. I don't disagree with your assertion that we all need to do our part to not throw gum wrappers and plastic bottles out the window.

This post was a technical question regarding a motorcycle, not a request for opinions regarding our impact on the environment or if we think our government regulations are sensible. I also have many opinions on human's affects on the planet that I would love to share with people who are interested, but perhaps that would be more appropriate in it's own thread.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top