Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question guys. The bike needs a new front tyre before winter sets in (North Scotland here) I'm okay with removing the wheel, easy enough. I simply want to remove the wheel without having to remove the belly pan for the jack to hold the bike while the wheel is off. Any ideas? I can position the screw jack under the belly pan, with a piece of soft wood to support across the lower frame, but I have the Nexus 2into1 which has about an extra 2cm of space below the frame/sump area. Any thoughts appreciated thanks the noo...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've done it before, with a block of 2X4 and one of those scissors jacks found in the trunk (boot?) of any small car. There's not all that much weight on it once the front wheel is loose. You can hang something on the tail light to make the front even lighter. Are we still working in the living room, LOL?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done it before, with a block of 2X4 and one of those scissors jacks found in the trunk (boot?) of any small car. There's not all that much weight on it once the front wheel is loose. You can hang something on the tail light to make the front even lighter. Are we still working in the living room, LOL?
Yeah that's what I was referring too in my message. Got the scissor jack out of her car. She doesn't know that of course, until she has a puncture on some remote Highland road with no mobile signal. Anyway getting back to the important stuff - the front wheel. Yeah the bike was still in the front room until recently, done all the major work and it's now in the hall, getting cleaned up. Just got the new tyres to put on and thats it all done. She's calmed down a bit too. Had a quick look at the deep scratch in the furniture, hope this helps to smooth things over with her...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Furniture Cabinetry Wood Drawer Table

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
if you have a rear box or carrier (yeah now I can see you have lol) and carefully place a couple of concrete blocks on the back it will lift the front up.
OR, you could get inventive as I did on the gen1, I drilled a 2in (50mm) hole in the bellly pan right under the sump, then cut a 3ins length of 2in dowel. (kept in my toolbox) when I want to lift the front of the bike I place the dowel through the hole and hold it there while using a jack (any) to lift the front) of course only works if you still have the centre stand on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what I am missing here, it takes 2mins to remove the belly pan?
Erm.... not quite. The joys of a Nexus 2into1. Heat from the exhaust where the down pipes join the main section has welded intself to the inside of the pan. Trying to remove the pan could result in it shattering or splitting. Given the amount of time/work/money I've had to spend recently, I'm happy to just leave the pan excatly where it is, hence my question. Yorkie is usually well ahead of the pack here in the UK, so I'll try his remedy first. Other suggestions most welcome (including the deep scratch in the furniture :unsure:)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Yeah the Nexus is a giant PITA. couple of suggestions/comments Danny (lunty74) cut the lower fairing with a dremmel to clear the pipe on the Nexus. I on the other hand wrapped the pipe and added a couple of washers to stop it melting the plastic, (note) this was on the second pan the first shattered taking it off. so your concerns are justified.
Also I forgot to mention if you look on E-bay you can buy extra large grommets to fill the hole you drill if you want to.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Not sure what I am missing here, it takes 2mins to remove the belly pan?
Maybe five. Two Phillips head screws in front and two M6 bolts under, by the center stand. Piece of cake! Just support it with your off hand when removing the final bolt-screw.

Reactions: ducatiman

·
Border Kong
993 Posts
... Other suggestions most welcome (including the deep scratch in the furniture :unsure:)
Fine-grit wood sandpaper (180 or greater) is usually used to repair scratches on wooden furniture. You should sand lightly along the grain of the wood all long the scratch, an inch or two wide on each side of the scratch. If it is very deep you can use a filler of the same color as the wood and sand again until the surface is smooth. Then it's time to apply varnish. From what I see in the photo, it appears to be simple transparent varnish.
Depending on the result, if the retouching is not very noticeable, you are already done. However, if the difference in finish is noticeable, it would be best to lightly sand the entire piece of furniture and apply varnish to the entire surface.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got rid of my belly pan, have two of them sitting in my attic - if you were local, I would give them to you.
Always knew those weights would come in handy one day :ROFLMAO: Got the missus to balance them on the seat of course, I was far too busy making a brew! Anyway, wheel off, tyre replaced plus a new valve, all good.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts